looking for advice please of best printer for thick cardstock - 350gsm

Hi, I would greatly appreciate some advice before I make yet another costly mistake!

I sell greetings cards and print around 100 to 200 per day. I'm in the UK.

I print on 350gsm card, most of my printers have a max media thickness of 275gsm ish. I am only achieving this by slightly pushing the card down to fit it through. Tedious!

I have been using Canon, latterly using the ink tanks which give me a significant saving over ink cartridges - but the print quality is just not good enough. I see great reviews about the Canon PIXMA PRO-200 A3 Colour Inkjet Printer but I'm really concerned about ink prices, does anyone have any experience of these?

Would I be better with a laser printer? I've spent an age searching, but have been unable to find one that takes heavyweight media.

I did buy the Epson ET8500 which I thought was going to solve all my problems - until I found out that thick media has to be fed (individually!) in from the back which doubles the space the printer takes up but also the sliders would not adjust far enough and remained too wide for my card to feed through.

I am hoping to find something around £1000 but if I can find the right printer that will definitely do what I need I could stretch to £2000.

Thanks if you've made it this far and I would HUGELY appreciate any advice!!

Can confirm our Epson P800s handle them with ease. But I also imagine any Pro-100 or better would work also. Just as long as it's not an all in one and top loaded preferred. Or manually if you want but I don't think it's necessary.

Hi, thanks for your reply.
The P800 looked ideal but I thought it was discontinued. My biggest worry with it and the Pro 100/200 would be the amount of ink I'd be using - on 1-200 prints a day I don't think they'd be viable?

Hi, thanks for your reply.
The P800 looked ideal but I thought it was discontinued. My biggest worry with it and the Pro 100/200 would be the amount of ink I'd be using - on 1-200 prints a day I don't think they'd be viable?
With Precision Colors CISS kit it could be. For that volume I would definitely use a larger printer. The P800 has been discontinued. I just got incredibly lucky in finding a new in box never used one. I have that one and another P800 for sale on my website with very low page count of 491 pages.

Ask a Question