MFC-9340cdw-iPrint&Scan for iOS: Can DPI be changed?

Hello!

Is it possible to change iPrint&Scan's default 300 dpi to 600 or 1200 on a model that supports it - eg: MFC-9340cdw?

The issue I'm seeing: Scanning a small photo results in a pixelated view when (reverse) pinch-to-zoom is used on an iPad. Being able to choose to scan at 600 dpi or 1200 dpi would effectively 'blow-up' the small original and maintain the quality as it does when scanned to a Mac or Windows at 600 or 1200 dpi.

iPrint&Scan does not have any (obvious) DPI settings options in it's settings so I've looked to the printer's settings instead. There isn't an obvious setting for DPI control in network scans but under the 'Scan' tab of the printer's web interface, there are options for:
- Scan to FTP/Network Profile
- Scan to FTP/Network
- Scan to USB

The Scan to FTP/Network options look tantalizingly useful, potentially, but I've had zero luck with my experiments.

Has anyone faced this and come up with a solution?

Many thanks!
Peter

Hello!

I'm sorry to answer my own question but I got a prompt reply from Brother Support that was very helpful and provides the definitive answer.

There is no way to set default scan settings on an iPad. The options under the 'Scan' tab of the printer's web interface only apply to scans launched from the machine itself, which are sent to a standard WINS or FTP server rather than the iPad or a cloud service (Dropbox, iCloud, Box.net, etc).

A link to the iPrint&Scan for iOS User Guide was also provided:
http://download.brother.com/welcome/doc100144/cv_eng_mpg_ios_a.pdf

So the iPrint&Scan app for iOS (and other mobile platforms, presumably) does not help make an iPad a replacement for a desktop or laptop computer running a desktop OS (Mac or Windows).

-Peter

Ask a Question