MFC-J5910DW [Fixed] Change Date in Filename style

Problem:
When using "Scan to File" from my Brother MFC-J5910DW device I always ended up in filenames like "CCI-[ddMMyyyy]_000*". This will result in Windows listing the files by days first instead of years. Changing the date style to "[yyyyMMdd]" however is neither possible via ControlCenter, Web Based Management or other means.

Issue:
The "Date in Filename" function grabs the current date from the operating system using the preferred "short date" notation.

Solution:
Changing the "short date" to a legit&known Windows notation (e.g. UK format yyyy-MM-dd) results in the "CCI-[yyyyMMdd]_000*" filenames.

Problem 2:
If you have a customized Windows date format (like I did: yyyyMMdd without the UK hyphons) that is not known to Windows in any preinstalled format, the ControlCenter4 will suddenly and unexpectedly close when using the "Device Scan Settings" or any other "Scan" button.
Customized system date formats will also result in scanning issues when scanning from the MFC to the system directly.

Issue:
The internal conversion from Windows date format to "Date in File" will search and remove certain characters. If it gets any unexpected character it closes.

Open: Currently untested if Fax and the other functions have similar issues or what happens on non-Windows operating systems.

Hope this helps anyone running across some issues after the latest firmware update.

Ask a Question