MFC-J6520DW goes offline and won't come back on/wake up

Hi all,

My Brother MFC-J6520DW continually goes offline and won't come back on/wake up. It's extremely frustrating! Does anyone have any advice on how to solve this, please?

It's connected to my PC via USB and I'm running Windows 10 64bit.

Many thanks,
Kingy75

I've been having a similar problem but with wi-fi. My MFC-J6520DW keeps going offline. I reboot and it's back - for a while.

I have the latest driver, software and firmware.

I suspect this may have started happening with the Anniversary Update of Windows 10.

Any suggestions?

These settings are for setting up your wireless (or wired) printer to:

· Stay connected to your router

· Fix printer ‘offline’ status

· Wake from sleep mode

· Keep all wireless devices better connected

· May speed up wireless printing

While DHCP is convenient, devices such as printers (wired and wireless) should always be assigned a static (fixed) IP address manually to avoid conflicts on your wireless network and must be outside the DHCP range of the router. After setting the static IP, the computer must be updated under Printer Properties/Ports to show a Standard TCP/IP port with the printers IP address.

1. Set a static IP in the printer (click here) outside the DHCP range of the router (check your manual). This is for Linksys routers but can be used for all routers. Verify your DHCP range and change this first if needed. More Wireless Printing help is here and here and even more here. Video here explains the problem and how to fix the problem. <-- So watch this!

2. Verify in the printer that 'Auto Off/Sleep/Energy Saving Mode' is disabled and/or the System Mode Time Out is set to zero (0). Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) by going to the printers IP address in your browsers address bar, click Settings Tab/Auto Off. Or use the Printer Assistant, Printer Home Page (EWS). Also check your Printer Properties. (HP specific).

3. If the printer supports and has IPv6 enabled, turn off IPv6 in the printer.

4. Make sure printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet and not into a UPS, power strip or surge protector. This will cause the printer to drop offline and disconnect (yes verified!).

Ask a Question