MFC-J6910DW - maybe need to replace driver, or is the printer kaput?

This past few days, I've started getting problems with printing and scanning. On significant print jobs ( like 40 pages ), the printer usually processes all pages before starting to print, but has started printing when they're half way through processing, then it freezes, spits out a page, and starts printing the whole thing from the beginning, wasting paper.

Even the scanner has been getting weird, freezing up my scan software, and I I have to unplug it and reset the software and do it again.

I've had the printer since 2013 and been using it in my home office ( moderate use ). I need a reliable printer because my work is crucial to my home business.

Might replacing the printer driver solve this, or is the printer kaput? I'd certainly understand kaput after all this time, but I love the printer and would prefer to get it working again.

Oh, I'm using it via USB, but if this turns out to be an interface issue, might I save it by going wifi? And where are instructions for that, again? It's been so long.

Last edited:
No replies here yet, but I've patched this myself, for now. I'm a former electronics R&D technician. I figured that the USB port may be kaput, so I disconnected that cable, and re-installed with drivers for wifi. It's working again, for printing and scanning, so yay! :)

Ask a Question