mfc-L2700dw static ip network setup fails

My pc 10.0.0.2 is plugged into a switch. My printer 10.0.0.6 is plugged into the same switch. Everything on this lan is configured staticly, no dhcp is needed, or used. The printer network configuration report printout shows:
ip 10.0.0.6
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
ip gateway 0.0.0.0
boot method static
boot tries 3
ip filter disabled

A router is also on the same switch and I can ping the router ip, the cable modem ip beyond the router, internet addresses, but I cannot ping the printer. I did not give the printer my cox dns ip or my gateway ip, as I don't want it connected to the internet, but just the local lan.

I'm using debian linux on my pc, and have downloaded the appropriate driver from the internet (linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.1-1) and ran this installer. Error messages like invalid ip address. I've tried a second ethernet cable and it's not the cable. The link light on the switch is blinking. I don't know what the problem is. I should be able to ping the printer.

Mike

Ask a Question