Missing Content

Hi all. I bought a Epson XP2100 about 6 months ago and all has been well up until a couple of days ago when I tried to print a photo. As you can see from the attached photo most of the image is missing in the preview and when I print it comes out the same. I've printed photos before without any problems and I'm wondering if I've caught a button in settings accidently. I've looked but can't see anything obvious. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Epson.jpg

This happened to me the past week also. The only thing that I could see that happened was possibly a Windows 10 update on 3/11/2021. It fails if I try to print a photo directly, such as through the Photos app. However, if I take that same photo and choose the "Microsoft Print to PDF" printer in the drop-down list, and then print that PDF file to the printer, it works (both in Preview and actually printing).

On my PC, this update was described as "KB5000802 (OS Builds 19041.867 and 19042.867)". I tried applying other updates to see if it would fix it but so far it has not helped. I might try to uninstall those updates.

This happened to me the past week also. The only thing that I could see that happened was possibly a Windows 10 update on 3/11/2021. It fails if I try to print a photo directly, such as through the Photos app. However, if I take that same photo and choose the "Microsoft Print to PDF" printer in the drop-down list, and then print that PDF file to the printer, it works (both in Preview and actually printing).

On my PC, this update was described as "KB5000802 (OS Builds 19041.867 and 19042.867)". I tried applying other updates to see if it would fix it but so far it has not helped. I might try to uninstall those updates.
Hi and thanks for taking the time to reply. You're right it's the update they put out on Saturday that seems to be the problem. I've used a restore point to take the computer back to before the update and it's worked.

Why would Microsoft put out an update that would do that? Or maybe it was a side effect they hadn't anticipated? Either way am I right in thinking the next time my machine wants to do updates KB5000802 will be there again?

Once again thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

It might come back since Windows will likely force the update onto my PC again.

I had initially tried adding more updates, in the hope that they had already fixed it. This included the 20H2 update. It was still broken. That's when I started taking updates off, which worked when I got KB5000802 off but I think what I did is messy, and Windows was complaining that my computer is insecure. (I should have done a restore point instead.)

I am re-applying the updates and if the problem persists, I will take KB5000802 off again.

Windows did an automatic update last night and yes it installed KB5000802 again. This could go on forever!!!!

Yes, it did that to me too. There is an option to "pause for 7 days" and I turned that on. During my testing, I clicked "resume updates" to see if re-applied it right away... it did. So... you can avoid the update being applied again for at least a while by using the pause option. Hopefully, this gives MS time to fix it.

On windowscentral.com there was a couple of posts about this problem. (Search for KB5000802.) The author indicated that there was a new update (KB5001567) to fix the problem. However, even though the description seems to related to our problem, applying it did not help and I removed both KB5001567 and KB5000802. (Note: I had to apply KB5001567 manually as it was not showing up in my list of "optional updates".)

Related: this error causes blue-screen-of-death for some people when printing. A friend called me yesterday with the BSOD message and I had him remove KB5000802 and pause the updates. If you go into the Advanced Options, there is the option for a longer delay than just 7 days.

Ask a Question