New Ink Refill reports Expired?

HP C7280 All in One Wireless

I hate this about this printer, that these ink carts are always telling you they're near gone, or about expired or expired and blah blah yadda yadda

I put a new cartridge in and it reports expired. I then got to thinking how old the "new" cartridge was. That is how long I might have had it in the new package. Am I to assume that out of the package new does not mean new if the cartridge was purchase a year prior!? If that is so ... how moronic.

I guess I am looking for confirmation. This cartridge may be new out of the pack but because it was purchased a year ago it's expired before it ever gets used??? I am not getting an HP the next time if it still works on this principle. Jack :confused:

The HP's usually have an expiration date on carts. They're only good for so long (a programmed date), even if kept on the shelf. Then,only good for so long after installed.

Should be able to print self diagnostic report that will show status / dates of the carts - if they're past expiration. I forgot exactly how long the "shelf life" is - wanna say 3 yrs from mfg date - you can find that info.

Could also be bad chip(s). Are these OEM or compatibles? You'll likely have more chip / recognition problems w/ compatibles, esp. if not a pretty decent brand / company. W/ my 2 HP photosmarts (HP02 carts) I used LD Products compatibles & they worked fine. But, electronics have changed on newer models.

The HP's usually have an expiration date on carts. They're only good for so long (a programmed date), even if kept on the shelf. Then,only good for so long after installed.

hphater? What a name? well This post was back in 2010 but it's still an issue that bugs myself and many. I just don't use ink all that fast and before I care to know it, it's telling me it's expired and have to hit 2 or 3 extra steps to get by it.

Ghastly feature. but, I love the printer it'slef. Thanks so much! jack :)

This post was back in 2010? Showed "2/7/2013" to me.

HP has (somewhere) stats posted on their site, for carts shelf life & installed time limit. You can look it up. Probably varies w/ cart #.
Seems like for older HP02, it was 2 -3 yrs shelf life & 18? mo after installed (or something like that). Just an example - will vary w/ model, I'm sure. But after certain time installed, even if still 1/2 full, would either say carts had expired, not recognized - if you were lucky.

Sometimes, might just not work & you figure out what problem is. I never had the problem of expiring before used up, but read plenty on it.

I've had HPs throw an "ink system failure" error, just because 1 cart was low. Or, sometimes it will say the cart's low. W/ the former, usually requires accessing "secret" menu, resetting hardware failure codes, unplugging, waiting, clicking heels 3 times, replacing low cart, powering back on.

I should change my name to HP-Epson-CanonHater.

For the sake of those who are experiencing the same problem, there are two things to consider here. First is that, some manufacturer really set an expiration date for those cartridges even if it's only kept in the shelf. Second is that, your printer's chip (or so called SMART CHIP) might be the problem. I would like to focus with the second since you can still do something with this compared with the first.

A thing you need to know about this "chips" is that they were placed by the printer's manufacturers. For you to know, this prevents the user to refill their cartridges with compatible toners. Basically, even if you refill your toner to its maximum capacity, it would still prompt empty. The best thing to do is to check the market for available reset chip that is compatible with your printer.

And one more thing, you actually do not have to buy a new cartridge once your old is empty. You can still refill that up to 4x. That's actually the best benefit in buying a reset chip--- it allows you to use compatible products for your printer.

Ask a Question