Printer cartridges

I wonder if anyone can help me. I bought a Canon IP 3500 printer about 3 years ago and it has given almost faultless service. About 3 weeks ago it printed one short letter successfully then refused to print a second about 2 minutes later, the cartridge carrier moving sharply to the left and staying there. I sent an email to Canon for advice who responded by saying take it should the printer to my nearest repair centre which, in my case, is a round trip of 300 kilometres. I am prepared to ditch the printer but I have a stack of cartridges which I would like to use rather than throw them away. Do you know of another Canon printer which uses the same cartridge?

Thanks

Your iP3500 uses CLI-8 cartridges. There are many printers that used these carts, but none are currently being built and sold. Too bad if you are a refiller, because I consider printers that use CLI-8 carts to be preferred over newer Canon printers.

Is your "stack of cartridges" filled with Canon oem ink, or refilled?

Here's a partial list of printers that use the CLI-8:
Category:CLI-8 based printers - Canon Printing

If you are in a relatively large city with Craigslist, you might find a CLI-8 based printer for sale.

There are great deals on the Pro-100, but it is a large, bulky printer. It doesn't have black pigment ink, which is a liability if you print b/w text on plain paper.

If you are a refiller, there is now a reseter available for it, and the CLI-42 carts are almost exactly like the CLI-8. However, you can't use CLI-8 carts in the Pro-100. It is possible to "transplant" the clips from the empty CLI-42 carts to the CLI-8 carts, but I don't recommend that.

Regarding your iP3500 ...
* did it provide some kind of error code?
* Did you "reset" the printer by turning off, and disconnecting the power cable for 10 minutes?
* Did you try carefully moving the print-head carrier to the middle, away from the left side?

mjs

[/QUOTE]
If you are a refiller, there is now a reseter available for it, and the CLI-42 carts are almost exactly like the CLI-8. However, you can't use CLI-8 carts in the Pro-100. It is possible to "transplant" the clips from the empty CLI-42 carts to the CLI-8 carts, but I don't recommend that.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the forum topic, I have a Pro-100, big and heavy, and I am looking to CISS the printer. There are a number of CLI-8 CISS options but I suspect they are being sold as a replacement for the CLI-42 cartridges (particularly those advertised "no chips". It sounds as if the CLI-8 cartridges are partially interchangeable with the CLI-42 (transplanted chip) why is this not recommended?
I would like to use my original proprietary Canon cartridges and cobble that to CISS reservoirs'. Is that possible?

Mike

I am looking to CISS the printer.

My understanding is that Canon printers and CISS don't work well together. I've never tried it, but seen many, many posts about avoiding CISS with Canon A4 and A3 printers.. YMMV.

It sounds as if the CLI-8 cartridges are partially interchangeable with the CLI-42 (transplanted chip) why is this not recommended?

To me, it is a "hold-your-nose-work-around" if there aren't a reliable source of inexpensive bulk "virgin empties". That is now the case with the CLI-42 cartridges. They are scarce, but that should change by 2014.

Where are you going to get the CLI-42 chips to transplant to the CLI-8 carts? If you've got them from buying expensive OEM CLI-42 carts, then why not use those carts once there are empty? To me, it seems flawed to do some minor surgery on the CLI-42 cart to get the chip off, then do some surgery on the CLI-8 to take off the chip, and then transplant the CLI-42 chip to the modified CLI-8 cart.

I would like to use my original proprietary Canon cartridges and cobble that to CISS reservoirs'. Is that possible?

Possible ... but so is peddling your bicycle seated backwards ... hope it works for you, but the odds aren't good.

Last edited:

Ask a Question