Printer must be powered on?!?

Hello All,

New to this forum. Glad to find it.

I had an HP1018 which worked fine until Windows 8.1 Update. Despite much help from an HP support person I could not get it to function properly. So, bought a new printer, a Samsung M2022W. I do very little printing, so the printer is powered off most of the time and I normally use my laptop in a different room, switching the printer on when required. However, the new printer gives the error message "Printer is in an error state" when I try to produce printed output on my laptop while the printer is powered off. The requested printed output does not go to the print queue. Apart from the fact that I would prefer to have the printer powered off until I need it, it seems to me that this method of operation effectively turns the clock back about 45 years to the days before Spooling. Samsung support says the printer is designed to operate this way, so if this is the case, then which printer would operate in the manner I would like, i.e. powered off until I need it?

Many thanks,
Bobbler

Ask a Question