Ptoblems with new HP Laserjet M118

Hello

Thank you so much for getting in touch with me.

I have been a user of HP products for over twenty years. My Laserjet 2100M is still working after fifteen years and has printed nearly 15,000 copies. I am a retired university lecturer in Information Technology and Education from the University of Greenwich at Avery Hill.

I bought the Laserjet Pro M118 for documents that needed printing on both sides, this was always a big problem with the old Laserjets’. I registered the M118 on the 1st November 2019, I did not use it until March 2020 as I was in Kenya, having difficulty getting back due to the Coronavirus taking hold in the UK.

When the complimentary cartridge had run out, bought a HP replacement from Amazon, making sure that it was an authentic HP cartridge. When I inserted the new cartridge, the printer started grinding on an off for about one minute, then stop, then the rectangular and triangular lights came on.

I download the HP Print and Scan Doctor and received the error shown in the PNG. This printer is virtually brand new. In the old days we just used to reset the printer and all would be well, but this printer cannot be reset. Also, there was no pull-out plastic. I can only assume that it is not required.

I would be very grateful for a solution to this problem as I need to print a new textbook for my publisher using the print on both sides facility.

Sincere Regards
Terence

Attachments

• HP.png
    HP.png
    411.2 KB · Views: 42
I received a reply regarding my Laserjet Pro problem and responded, but cannot find my reply.

Would the person who kindly sent me a thread regarding my problem, re-send it to me as for some reason I cannot explain, it has disappeared. I did reply to this thread but cannot find that either.

Hello

Thank you so much for getting in touch with me.

I have been a user of HP products for over twenty years. My Laserjet 2100M is still working after fifteen years and has printed nearly 15,000 copies. I am a retired university lecturer in Information Technology and Education from the University of Greenwich at Avery Hill.

I bought the Laserjet Pro M118 for documents that needed printing on both sides, this was always a big problem with the old Laserjets’. I registered the M118 on the 1st November 2019, I did not use it until March 2020 as I was in Kenya, having difficulty getting back due to the Coronavirus taking hold in the UK.

When the complimentary cartridge had run out, bought a HP replacement from Amazon, making sure that it was an authentic HP cartridge. When I inserted the new cartridge, the printer started grinding on an off for about one minute, then stop, then the rectangular and triangular lights came on.

I download the HP Print and Scan Doctor and received the error shown in the PNG. This printer is virtually brand new. In the old days we just used to reset the printer and all would be well, but this printer cannot be reset. Also, there was no pull-out plastic. I can only assume that it is not required.

I would be very grateful for a solution to this problem as I need to print a new textbook for my publisher using the print on both sides facility.

Sincere Regards
Terence
Please let me recap.

I have just noticed that the cartridge that came with the printer does not have a facility for storing the toner. By this I mean that there is no place for the toner in the complimentary cartridge. All there is is the drum. So where was the original toner stored? I cannot see any place inside the printer that would store the toner.

Terence

Hello All

May I sum before I go to HP and pay for help to resolve my problem, which at the moment appears to be unsolvable?
You will observe from my screenshot that there is a device error on my printer. This screenshot was taken without the cartridge inserted. There was no toner in the printer at the time. I also get the same error message even when the cartridge is installed, so it is obviously a printer error.
All I need is for someone to tell me that it can only be fixed by HP then I will stop bothering people. Thank you in advance for your hel

Terence, London

I see that no one has replied. So I thank those who did reply and will now ask HP how to solve the problem. Keep safe and well to all

I see that a problem similar to mine was un-answered on the 21 October 2020. May I suggest that if is a problem that cannot be answered you let the person who lodged the query, know this. It will save a great deal of time.

Hello All

I have to admit to my own stupidity regarding my problem with the printer. I am used to the old Laserjet 2100M printers. The imaging drum and toner were all in one.

Then I took a much more concentrated look at my Laserjet Pro M118W. I had removed what I thought was a complimentary cartridge without realising that it was the imaging drum and should have stayed in the printer. So I have just inserted what I thought had to be discarded, then inserted my new HP toner cartridge and bingo, I am printing again.

However, I have looked at the manual very carefully and nowhere does it state that the imaging must NOT be removed from the printer. If I am wrong would someone kindly point out for me where this can be found.

The bottom line is that I have solved a problem that was due to my own stupidity. Keep safe and well. Terence

Im so happy you found a solution to your problem.
I cannot find any replies to your post though. Only your comments on your own posts.
God bless you Terene in Jesu name.
Øyvind Norway.

You cannot find any posts because no one had a clue as to the solving of my problem. I only hope that I am not sent an email to review the service I received from this Forum, which would be ZERO.

Ask a Question