Refilled cartridges

How does a printer know that a refilled cartridge is being used? I mean, it's not like the cartridge is changed physically just refilled with ink. I purchased a boat load of refilled ink cartridges only to find out that my HP D5160 printer will not allow them to be used. Maybe if HP, like all other printer manufacturers, never charged so much for a new ink cartridge more people would buy their product. It's almost as feasible to buy a new printer when it runs out of ink than to buy the new cartridges for it.

Anyone care to shed some light on this question?

Last edited:
There's a simple answer for this. Actually, all OEM cartridges are manufactured with smart chips on them. Smart chips are responsible for disallowing your printer to print with a refill toners because it detects the intended printing cycle. To be practical, all cartridges are made to be refilled 4-6 times at most, but because of those existing chips, it becomes quite impossible. Basically, it's a strategy for the company.

However, it doesn't mean that you do not have any choices. You could actually purchase a reset chip, which obviously reverse what smart chips do. Hence, allowing you for a cheaper refill benefit. Mostly, this resetter can be purchased together with a toner refill kit intended for your printer model

I purchased a boat load of refilled ink cartridges only to find out that my HP D5160 printer will not allow them to be used.
What is the printer saying when you insert the cartridge?

Hi,

Im Liam from rihac and I work closely with printers on a daily basis via our inklink products.If the printer is simply saying the cartridge is empty you can press and hold the "OK" button on the printer and this will bypass the error and allow you to continue printing. The ink levels will no longer show up however.

Ask a Question