refilling Dell cartridges and low ink

Hi,
I bought a Dell V515W multifunction printer last fall. It was easy to install on several PC’s including wireless. It prints, scans, copies and faxes great.
There is a big problem with ink consumption and/or ink level sensing.
I haven’t kept an exact count, but I seem to be getting less than 200 sheets of normal quality black printing from a regular series 21 cartridge. That is terrible. I bought some good ink and a refill kit and it is easy to refill the cartridge, however, the ink level never changes in the printer. The printer keeps saying the ink is low, and eventually it will not print unless you put in a new cartridge.
There is a chip like an RFID chip on each cartridge that identifies it to the printer. Unless the chip is reset, it will not increase the ink level. There is no way for us to reset the chip yet.
The printer doesn’t directly sense the ink level. It must calculate ink usage by pages, lines and print quality. There is no connection from the cartridge to the printer like some printers have. Del just does an estimate of how much ink they think you have used.
They intentionally underestimate the usage to prevent the print heads from drying out.
On this Dell printer the print heads are in the printer. The V313w, V515W and V715W printers and possibly others are all like this. Some printers have the print heads in the ink cartridge so you change heads when you change cartridges.
If the print heads in the printer do dry out, you may not be able to clean it.
There are remanufactured cartridges out there at very reasonable prices, so some folks have new chips or they know how to reset the chip. I am going to buy a remanufactured cartridge and try it soon.
I am looking for the chip answer, so we can refill Dell cartridges.
On my very old Lexmark, it was easy to refill, and the ink level went up.

More Dell cartridge problems

I am updating my post on my Dell v515w low ink problem.
I ordered 2 black and 1 color remanufactured cartridges . They were from PrintPal, which is a good Co. to deal with.
The cartridges are pure trash. They are made in China and about 35% less $ than the Dell ones.
Both the black and color leaked ink when I took a piece of tape off before I installed.
The ink is very permanent. The cartridges were recognized by the printer, but they printed extremely bad. The leaking ink in the color one contaminated the ink pads in the print head. I will need to replace the print head soon.
As much as I did clean print heads and print test pages, the printing was terrible.
The ink in them must be very poor quaility.
Print Pal took them back, and they are very interested in this problem.
Remanufactured Dell cartridges are very new and not proven.
I'll say they aren't.
DON'T BUY REMANUFACTURED CARTRIDGES FOR THE DELL v515w PRINTER!!!
That is the series 21, 23, cartridges.

Last edited:
Another thing worth mentioning, I talked to Dell tech support for over an hour about my low ink and cartridges lasting only 10-14 days printing 20-30 pages. That is for the black. The color has the same problem also.
This rep from India tried to impress me with his knowledge, and it didn't work.
He was worthless. In the end, he is sending me a new black series 23 cartridge which is the high yield one. I am not very impressed with Dell tech support. I've had this low ink with 4 OEM DELL cartridges. Either all the cartridges I had were defective, or they don't know how to fix this problem.

I am updating my post on my Dell v515w low ink problem.
I ordered 2 black and 1 color remanufactured cartridges . They were from PrintPal, which is a good Co. to deal with.
The cartridges are pure trash. They are made in China and about 35% less $ than the Dell ones.
Both the black and color leaked ink when I took a piece of tape off before I installed.
The ink is very permanent. The cartridges were recognized by the printer, but they printed extremely bad. The leaking ink in the color one contaminated the ink pads in the print head. I will need to replace the print head soon.
As much as I did clean print heads and print test pages, the printing was terrible.
The ink in them must be very poor quaility.
Print Pal took them back, and they are very interested in this problem.
Remanufactured Dell cartridges are very new and not proven.
I'll say they aren't.
DON'T BUY REMANUFACTURED CARTRIDGES FOR THE DELL v515w PRINTER!!!
That is the series 21, 22, 23, and 24 cartridges I think.

Actually these aren't remanufactured, they are new non OEM non Dell cartridges.
They fit the printer, but they look different, and they don't work.

Ask a Question