[SOLVED] Canon IP4500 output tray closed when it's not

Canon IP 4500 Output tray closed when its not.

Dear M. Canon,
Thanks for your great repair instructions. Here we are 2 years later & you are still saving a perfectly good printer from being thrown away. In this case it is my wife`s & she is thrilled with your help that I have repaired it.
Alibarber 2

Thank's........ That did the job. Your instructions were great. They made me fill like i knew what i was doing. Thanks again. That saved me a few bucks..

Worked perfectly well. THX!

Very useful advice. I fixed the problem without cutting wires - unsolded on wire and solded to the other one.

Great help. Thanks. Lol.

Fantastic! It's done and dusted! Great explanation, very many thanks. this saved me tearing the rest of my hair out. Well done!

Brilliant - I was about to look on the net for a new printer and thought I'd google the problem as a last resort. I have no skills whatsover and I managed this fix. I used an electrical connector to connect the wires. Thank you for the post.

Inks

Dumb Question - Do I need to take all the inks out while I am attempting to disassemble this ip4500? I need to fix the door sensor so it thinks its open.

thank you

Success.. it worked

Thanks for this detailed information. We had this exact problem which meant the printer was unusable We had nothing to lose so thought we'd give this a go.

Followed it step by step and it resolved the problem. Thanks again. :)

Fixed it. Absolutely first rate. Only small suggestion I have is to make clear at the beginning that a flat-head screwdriver was needed to gently lever or pry plastic panels apart. I was thrown by the specificity of "electrical screwdriver" and spent time looking for screws. But perhaps it is me that is screwed-up.

Thanks. I have several iP4500's (and MX850's and MX610 that share the same high-speed QY6-0075 and older QY6-0067 print-head).

BTW, to me, the iP4500 is one of, if not the best, inkjet printer for photo prints for non-professional hobby'ists that don't need the extra width and potentially better print quality of the Pixma Pro 9000-2.

My advice:
* be on the lookout for iP4500's with this problem .. can probably be bought for next to nothing if you come across one
* if you do a fair amount of printing, I think it is a very good idea to have a backup printer that uses the same print-head ... or if the waste pad eventually fills up
* consider getting a replacement print-head (or several) to keep this excellent printer in service ... they won't be available forever, and they were almost unobtainable after the Thailand floods of several years ago
* CLI-8 cartridges used by the iP4500 represent the "high water mark" for hobby'ist oriented printers who refill. It's been "all down-hill" since these were discontinued, and the Pro 9000-2 was discontinued
* YMMV

Still not working…

Thank you for a great instruction (only a little confused by your first pic, that actually seems to show the plastic on the other side being lift off…). I managed to work myself through your easy steps and finally twisted the yellow cables together – but problem still there. Is that even possible…? Should I remove everything in the old connection so that they do not interfere (but the couldn't really, can they)? Or could I have connected the cables too sloppy…?

UPDATE!!!

*lol*!!! I cut the wrong two cables. Did it again, and the right cables this time – works like a charm! :)

Last edited:
I just resurrected this thread and my dead printer in 7 easy steps, thanks Mr Canon!

The only thing that took a little longer for me was following the photos to take off both sides, when you just need to take off the right-hand side panels. I also just soldered the switch wires together in place.

Between this guide, and soaking the print head in very hot water a few times, you've helped me save a completely functional, brilliant printer! Thanks again!

12 years later... You're a savior! It was pure joy fixing this printer (thank you for your detailed instructions and the accompanying pics). The printer is now working well.

Ask a Question