Spooling

We have 5 computers hooked up to a wireless network in our office and none of our computers can print off of our Dell 2135cn8FDBF9 laser printer. When we pull up the window with the pending jobs and the status of them, the status says Printing - spooling. I have googled the issue and have come across many solutions including
  • stopping the printer spooling and delete all the spool files.
  • stop the spool then start the spool
  • turn the printer off and then turn it back on
  • go into properties and select print directly to the printer instead of spooling
and none have those worked.

Does anyone else have an idea of how to solve this issue because we need our printers!!!

Thank you!

Spooling, in my experience, is where the computer is attempting to send the actual print job to the printer. I've had problems with spooling when our network slows down, but there are ways around it depending on your problems.

First, attempt to print a test page off the printer itself, from the built in display. Anything will do, a test page, printer cleaning page, troubleshooting page, whatever. If it comes out, cool, move on too number two.

Second, from that window with the pending jobs, click on the menu, "Printer" then choose "properties". That should pull up a window with a button at the the bottom that says "Print Test Page". If that comes out cool, move on to to the third, if it doesnt attempt to use the windows troubleshooting thing (not that I've ever had much help from it). Also, if it doesnt print the test page, try finding out why. I cant get into the details, but you can try re-mapping to the printer, updating the printer driver, or attempting to print through an ethernet or usb cable instead of wireless. Try to identify what is causing you're printer to spool for forever. What kind of wireless are you using? A, B, G or N? If you're using A, you might not have the bandwidth to print large file's properly.

Third, if the printer does print your documents after spooling for 5 minutes, 10 or even 30 minutes, attempt to make the documents smaller. You can do this by using NXPowerLite, a program designed to shrink file sizes, or converting the document to Adobe PDF, which can decrease, or sometimes (randomly to me) increase the file size. Shrinking the file size is my most common method of fixing this problem.
--Also, if you dont have NXPowerLite (probably dont) or you cant make Adobe PDF files, you can attempt to shrink your documents another way (but only if they have pictures in them. In both word and PowerPoint, you can select a picture, "cut" it, then click on "file" "paste special". A box will pop up, and you can choose "paste as JPEG". This should help decrease your file size. For dramatic results on powerpoint, you can select everything on your slide, text boxes, pictures, word art, arrows, whatever, and cut everything, and do the same thing I just listed above. I've shrunk 4 or 5 megabyte PowerPoints to 400 or 500 kilobytes this way, which in turn reduces the amount of data that needs to be sent to the printer.

Anyway, best thing to do is play with it until you can identify the problem. Spooling has a lot to do with your network, so start there.

Good Luck.

Ask a Question