Suggestions - Print only inkjet, Ethernet, autoduplex

My Canon Pixma failed last year after years of great service. I spent a lot of time looking for an equivalent replacement and didn't find one. I finally settled on an HP Photosmart 7525 all in one - not because I wanted an all-in-one, but because I couldn't find an alternative - in fact, I really don't want an all-in-one. After about 8 months, the 7525 started banding, but only near the end of a full page, and only in one quadrant suggesting a mechanical problem. Fortunately, I bought it at Costco and can return it for a refund.

So. I'm again looking. Since my previous printer was a photo printer, that's what I was looking for when I bought the 7525. Now that I'm looking again and realize that I really do very little photo-quality printing, I'm willing to broaden my options. However, I am back to preferring a print-only printer.

After doing a good bit of looking around online at reviews, I find there isn't much. I'd prefer to stay with the major brands: Canon, Epson, HP. I considered Brother, but all of their inkjets are all-in-one, and Canon doesn't seem, to have a good option.

Wired Ethernet and USB, and auto duplex are priorities, and not an ink hog is also a priority. I don't need wireless, cloud, or memory card slots.

By not requiring photo quality, that opens up the possibilities, and the two that seem to fit, though they are a couple of years old since their introduction, are the HP Officejet Pro 8100 and the Epson Workforce Pro WP-4020.

Reviews are reasonable, with a few concerns - always a few reviewers who don't know how to say anything positive. Of course, having been released in 2012 means support/obsolescence is closer than printers that are newer.

I'd like to stay under $150, but would be willing to go up to $250 for one that fits all my needs.

Any suggestions, and/or comments on the HP and Epson noted above?

Thanks!
Optiker

Sorry...I specifically said, print only. Don't need or want an all-in-one.

Incidentally, I've ordered an Epson Workforce WF-4020 and was surprised that on the link to your business page, you don't list cartridges for that printer series.

Thanks anyhow.
Optiker

Sorry...I specifically said, print only. Don't need or want an all-in-one.

Incidentally, I've ordered an Epson Workforce WF-4020 and was surprised that on the link to your business page, you don't list cartridges for that printer series.

Thanks anyhow.
Optiker

Ask a Question