"The printer is not connected"

Hi all,

I made an account on here just because I am at my absolute wit's end. I bought an MFC-J885DW printer about a year ago for school. I installed it and it worked beautifully without any problems. A couple of months ago I moved into a new house with new wifi. Now my printer is on the fritz. I have read through every related forum I can to try to fix the problem--and nothing works.

The problem:
When I print, it gives me the message "the printer is not connected" yet the wifi symbol on the printer screen indicates the wifi is working. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the necessary drivers at least 12 times. The weird thing is--when I reinstall the drivers I have about a 2 minute window where I can print and then the printer stops working and gives me that same message "the printer is not connected." Just now, I reinstalled everything (I reset the network on the printer, I typed in my wifi password to connect, I installed the drivers). I went through all the steps. I was able to print 2 of my 3 documents before it decides to not work. I have tried deleting and adding the printer again under my systems preferences. I am using a Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10

I called Brother on Friday and basically went through these same steps with someone. It worked--but I should have made him stay on the line so I could tell him what keeps happening.

Any ideas? I am at the point of considering buying a new printer--I have no idea what to do.

Thank You

Could it be that your router signal is marginal? Is your router close by your computer or at a distance?
Can you move your printer nearer router, just for a test? Is your router signal blocked by metallic objects, a wall
or other stronger Wifi signals in your neighborhood? Is router antenna fully deployed, away from metal objects?
Answer these questions. Let us know further.

Sounds like you Wifi setup is A-OK, since you can print several documents early-on. However here is Youtube video that may assist you:

Ask a Question