Used Epson 7890?

Hi All!
Newbie here with a request for a sanity check.
Background: I have been interested in printing "photorealistic" for decades; was using a Fargo dye-sub, and have also used various inkjet/laser printers with mixed results.
I purchased an Epson P600 last year, which really does do a spectacular job. Encouraged by success with this printer, I would like to venture into a wider format for making canvas gallery wraps. Located a used Epson 7890 at a very reasonable price on a local craigslist. This printer had been converted to the Cone "Piezographic" (hi-def B&W) inks, but is now (according to the seller) sitting idle, and purged with flush. This is, to my understanding, the correct procedure to "mothball" one of these printers.
However, acquiring the printer and re-configuring it with ConeColor inks would still be an expensive project, not to mention the cost of media for it. (This is a hobby for me, not a business, BTW.) What pitfalls am I likely to encounter in this project that would turn my investment into a haz-mat disposal issue? I understand the process of purging the ink paths, checking the nozzle patterns, etc. Would a simple "nozzle-check" printed with the pink "flush" be an adequate indication of a working system, or are there other checks that need to be performed before going to the effort (Effort. The thing is heavy.) of dragging it home and throwing money at it? What resources are available to me should I encounter problems beyond basic system maintenance?
Any thoughts on this project appreciated. TIA!

Ask a Question