Waste ink tank full message with a difference

Waste tank full message reset method for Canon BIJ2300 A3/A4 business inkjet printer. Big heavy fantastic printer which started streaking a bit even after a new print head installed so we sent it off to Canon service for repair quotation. The repair cost quoted was ridiculous so we paid the quotation bill and opted to replace the printer but when it came back from service it had the waste ink tank full message and would not function. We needed an A3 machine immediately so I thought maybe later, I would have it looked at somewhere else. The printer was working when it went in so I was not impressed. They must have just repeatedly run the cleaner routine until it error messaged. A month after installing the new printer I messaged the Canon service agent for the error message clearing procedure but got no response also tried ringing. So I went down during business hours and it was closed and has been ever since. After that I thought I would take a look under the lid to see if there is a reset instruction or switch or diags I can enable and guess what, I found the cause of the streaking was a piece of foreign plastic material restriction the cleaning mechanisms function. I removed it and the mechanism works fine now so I flushed and cleaned all of the waste ink and tubes etc, replaced the ink tank pads and it looks like new. I contacted Canon Service and explained how the printer was ok when I went for service but came back faulty after quotation and they they tell me I have to bring it back to the same Canon agent. I explained they are closed down and was advised to bring it in to a new service center and pay more to have the error message cleared. This is a big printer. They were really polite as always but they won't tell me the procedure over the phone, email it or help me find it in any other way. Long story I think it needed to be told. So the printer is repaired, ready to go but I need the reset procedure to clear the message. Can anyone help me out please. Regards from Rod

Last edited:
With most Canon inkjets, there is a way to get into "Service Mode", with the option to reset the waste tank percentage.

However, the procedure to get to "Service Mode" is undocumented, intentionally complicated, and not consistent between printers. Worst case, what works on an iP4500 might change your printer to using Japanese.

I didn't find much looking for specs on the BIJ2300, but I did find a picture. Is this a rather old printer? I couldn't tell if there is an LCD for the user interface.

If there is an LCD, it is a bit safer to use trial-and-error to get to "Service Mode", but don't hold your breath. Without an LCD for messages and menu, it would almost certainly be a waste of time, and unsafe, to use trial-and-error.

But ... you've got a working printer, and a backup print-head. Unless your print volume is heavy enough to justify two printers going at the same time, then a backup print-head is about the only thing valuable from the old printer.

RODOZ I have reset procedure for a Canon BJC-4200 if that would be of any use to you. It's a little lengthy so I wont send it unless you think you can use it. By the way, on my 4200 I just soaked and squeezed the pad many times until pretty clean and reinstalled, then reset the code. Good luck

Reset for Canon BJC-4200

Let me know if this worked. Loganggs, if you could would you mind sending it? I'd very much like to see what it is.

Hello SO
Sorry this reply was delayed, but this works for me:

SuppliesOutlet,
Reset procdeure for Canon BJC-4200 that works for me:

1. Unplug power cord
2. Hold power and resume buttons, then,
3. While holding, plug in power
4. Release buttons
5. Open front pane
6. Hold cartridge and resume buttons
7. Press power button
8. Release all buttons (cartridge, resume, and power) AFTER PRINTER BEEPS
9. Press cartridge button (green on my machine) ONCE.
10. Press resume button

I hope this helps; sorry to take so long to send this. Good luck.

Ask a Question