Windows 11 will not allow two identical Canon G2010s

I have used two identical Canon G2010 printers on the same PC for years with no problems. Starting with power cables and USB cables disconnected, install the first printer following the prompts on the installer. Once the first printer has installed, connect the cables and turn on the second printer and it will also install (without running the driver installation media again). Both printers end up with the same name but that can be altered under settings for each printer. I always name the printers G2010a and G2010b.

Yesterday, I tried installing Windows 11 and used the same method that I'd used on Windows 10 many times. When I got to installing the printers, I used the method as described above. The result was, the first printer was able to function normally (print, scan, etc.) while the second printer was able to do everything EXCEPT print. There was no printer driver installed for the second printer, only drivers for scanning, etc.

My question is, how can I get both printers working as they used to work on Windows 10, but now on Windows 11?

In order to use multiple Printers on the same PC you must change the USB serial number identifier of one of the printers so that the computer recognizes the printers as separate devices.
can be a bit tricky installing multi usb printers from same manufacturer on one pc
could be win 11 will solve this when it has an update

Thanks for your reply. It was so simple with Win 10, and I never had to change anything except the names of the two printers.
If the problem is not resolved, I will have to buy another printer (e.g. Brother DCP-T310) to work with one of my existing G2010s.

Anyone else have any ideas?

not knowing your setup would ethernet be a better solution
maybe make printers wireless
just a thought

Thanks for your thoughts. I think the only answer will be stay with Win 10 for now and watch for developments.

Do you think two printers from different manufacturers (e.g. Canon G2010 and Brother DCP-T31) would create the same problem?

i think they have different usb serials so shouldnt conflict
if enough people have this issue they will patch it

Yes, I see that Brother printers have this problem and several others. Wait and see what happens. Microsoft won't want this to drag on if it really is an issue.

Ask a Question