ZXP Series 7 printer is corrupting the Windows Spooler (in WS2008 Std)?

Hi Everyone,

I experienced Windows Spooler errors after attempting to install a Zebra ZXP Series 7 (https://www.zebra.com/us/en/products/printers/card/zxp-series-7.html) printer onto a Windows Server 2008 x64 (not R2!) computer.

I installed the standard software package for the printer from Zebra onto the Server. This resulted in the programs 'Zebra ZXP Series 7 Toolbox' and 'Zebra ZXP Series 7 Card Printer' being added to the list of installed programs. Furthermore it results in several dll files, and an executable file being written to C:\Windows\System32.

After the installation I started seeing some strange behaviour in Print Management, such as no network printers being listed, and then when I checked the spooler I noticed that it was off. During my experimentation with the spooler I saw the messages shown below -

34fdslg.jpg

idhml5.jpg

Throughout my attempts to get the spooler running smoothly with the Zebra installed I kept having unexpected spooler behaviour, for example (in addition to the messages above) even though the spooler was set to start automatically it did not start by itself after reboots (as shown below).

i563uw.jpg

Because I could not resolve the spooler error I made the decision to uninstall the Zebra software, this required an additional Server reboot which unfortunately did not fix the spooler issue shown above. It was only after I renamed the Zebra files in C:\Windows\System32 (as shown below) and performed a final reboot that the print spooler started automatically and printing (on other printers) came back to normal.

5djpl0.jpg

If anybody has experienced this issue with the ZXP Series 7 printer can you please respond with how you overcame the issue.

I would like to post to the Zebra forums, however these only appear to be open to 'partners'.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo

Ask a Question