Brother mfc-8860DN wrinkled envelopes

I have a Brother mfc-8860DN that's about 9 years old. It prints regular paper perfectly. But the envelopes get wrinkled when printed. Envelopes are fed through the smaller dropdown front tray. Someone at Brother customer service suggested it may be the fuser and told me to look to see if fuser is worn, but fuser looked smooth to me. (Diagnostic messages on machine say 32% remaining life on fuser and most other parts. I've occasionally replaced drum as needed). I tried opening the back of machine and flipping the 2 blue levers but envelopes still get wrinkled. I don't see how the problem would be the fuser when the regular paper prints fine and it's only the envelopes that get wrinkled.
This machine still has life & capability to print many more pages. Before I go out to buy a new machine, I want to know if there's a simple inexpensive fix. If my hunch is correct and the problem is with the envelope feeding mechanism, does anyone have a ballpark range of the $ cost for parts to repair that?
Thanks.

Most envelopes are suitable for use in your Brother machine. However, some envelopes will have feed and print-quality problems, because of the way in which they are made. Please review the information below to resolve the issue you are experiencing with envelopes creasing or wrinkling:

1. Envelope Specifications:

- Use envelopes designed for laser machines from 20 to 32 lbs.

- Verify that the envelope joints that are sealed by the manufacturer are secure.

- All sides of the envelope should be properly folded without wrinkles or creases.

- Remove each envelope immediately after printing.

2. Verify the envelope is loaded properly:

a. Open the back cover (back output tray) of the printer by pulling down on the thin handle located on the top of the back cover.
b. Pull down the two gray levers, one on the left side and one the right side, towards you. Once the levers are pulled down, the arrow on the gray levers will match with white arrow next to the envelope symbol.
c. Open the manual feed slot cover on the front of the printer. The manual feed slot is the cover that has the brother logo in the center. Place your finger on the cut out above the Brother logo and pull the manual feed slot cover down to open it.

d. Using both hands, slide the manual feed slot paper guides to the width of the envelope that you are going to use.

e. Using both hands, put one envelope in the manual feed slot (printed side up) until the envelopes starts folding or buckling up. When you hear the machine try to pull envelope in push the envelope further into the machine, the machine should grab and pull the envelope in.

tip.gif
- To verify envelope is pulled in correctly by the machine, try to pull the envelope out, if you feel resistance that means envelope was picked up by the machine. If you do not feel resistance, remove the envelope and repeat step.

- Make sure that the envelope is straight and in the proper position on the manual feed slot. If it is not, the envelope may not be fed properly, resulting in a skewed printout or a paper jam. Do not put more than one envelope in the manual feed slot at any one time, as it may cause a jam. If you put an envelope in the manual feed slot before the printer is in the Ready state, the envelope may be ejected without being printed on.

3. Select the correct envelope paper size and media setting in the printer driver. Follow the instructions for your operating system.

Windows

Macintosh

Windows

a. Open the Printers folder.

Windows 8 or Server 2012:

- Move your mouse to the lower left corner of the Desktop or Start screen => Right-click the screen and then left-click Control Panel=> Hardware and Sound=> View Devices and Printers.

Windows 7 or Server 2008 R2:

- Click Start => Device and Printers

I don't see any gray levers. My machine has two light BLUE levers, one on the left, one on the right. Each lever can be flipped up or down to show the number "1" or number "2". Lever flipped down shows "1". Lever flipped up shows "2". Not sure of the difference but I left mine on "1". Any idea what it costs to fix the front envelope feeder tray?

Ask a Question