Brother MFC-J480DW Driver Setting

I need to access the printer driver for the above printer. OS is WIN 10 Pro. All the info I get by googling for it is wrong.
I cannot reinstall the driver, because I am using refillable cartridges with automatic resettable chips. If I reinstall the driver it will not recognize the chips.
What I need to change is the print density... something happened to it when I was monkeying around with it, and now it prints everything in what appears to be "draft" mode (light). All help is appreciated.

You can change the printer driver settings in the Printer Properties dialog box and the Printing Preferences dialog box. Below are the steps to open Printer Properties and Printing Preferences.

NOTE: Illustrations shown below are from a representative product and operating system, and may differ from your Brother machine and operating system.

How to open the Printer Properties:​

The Printer Properties dialog box is typically where you'll find options governing the printer itself - configuring ports, and other hardware-related customizations.

[Printer Properties]
Printer Properties dialog box

(Windows 8/ Windows 10)

1. Open the Control Panel. (Click here to see how to open the Control Panel.)
  2. Click Hardware and Sound => Devices and Printers.
  3. Right-click your Brother machine and select Printer properties.
(Windows 7)
Click
Start button
(Start button) => Control Panel => Hardware and Sound => Devices and Printers. Right-click your Brother machine icon and select Printer properties.

NOTE:
If you see the Change Properties button at the bottom left of the dialog box, click the Change Properties button before changing the settings.

How to open the Printing Preferences:​

Printing preferences are the options available on your printer.

[Printing Preferences for a Windows printer driver]
Printing Preferences dialog box

[Printing Preferences for a BR-Script printer driver]
Printing Preferences dialog box of BR-Script driver

(Windows 7/ Windows 8/ Windows 10)
Click Preferences... in the General tab of Printer Properties.

(Mac)​

You can change the printer driver settings in the Print dialog. Below are the steps to open the Print dialog and select the printing options.

NOTE: Illustrations shown below are from a representative product and operating system, and may differ from your Brother machine and operating system.

How to open the Print dialog:​

The Print dialog is typically where you'll find options available on your printer.

Print dialog

For macOS 10.7 - or later users:
From an application such as Apple TextEdit, click File => Print.... And then, click Show Details. The Print dialog sheet will expand.

Print dialog

How to select the printing options:​

The Print dialog has several panes. The number of panes in the Print dialog and the printing options in each pane vary depending on the product and operating system.

From the Printer pop-up menu, select the printer you want to use. To navigate from one pane to another in the Print dialog, select the options from the pane pop-up menu (A). Then select the various printing options.

Print dialog

Once you have selected the various printing options you like, you can save those options as a printer preset by selecting Save As... or Save Current Settings as Preset... from the Preset pop-up menu. You will be given an option to have the preset available for all printers or just for your current printer. In future print jobs, you can enable all of those options with the single step of selecting your saved preset from the Preset pop-up menu.

Ask a Question