Brother MFC-J480DW Using Refillables with auto reset chip

How many useless HP Printers have you sent to the landfill due to no third party ink?

• More than 3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I am using refillables with an auto reset chip for this printer. It is printing good, however quite a different animal from the many Epsons I have had. While trial and error pushing buttons on the interface panel, I am concerned about Brother downloading a "fix" to something or a "updated driver" that may thwart the continued use of the refillables, and make them useless along with making the printer useless due to high cost of ink. What should I avoid doing to prevent printer manufacturer tactics? I have automatic updates turned off.
What else, if anything can I do proactively to avoid Brother intrusion?

I am using refillables with an auto reset chip for this printer. It is printing good, however quite a different animal from the many Epsons I have had. While trial and error pushing buttons on the interface panel, I am concerned about Brother downloading a "fix" to something or a "updated driver" that may thwart the continued use of the refillables, and make them useless along with making the printer useless due to high cost of ink. What should I avoid doing to prevent printer manufacturer tactics? I have automatic updates turned off.
What else, if anything can I do proactively to avoid Brother intrusion?
I have been using refillables since early '17 in this same printer with no problems. I haven't allowed any updates either, and have had no problems with the cartridges. You should be OK. I am currently having some problems, though, with print density. The black is dark gray even with the print setting on "Best". I have found no way to improve the print density so am about to chuck this one and get a new one. All of them quit at some time due to engineered obsolescence built in. I like this brother better than any of the four Epsons and 2 HPs (Junk) I have had... seems Epsons were always needing a head cleaning shortening the life of the printers, and their paper handling is not good. The two HPs I had always acted like I just threw them across the room. This Brother of mine has never had a paper jam or any other paper handling error using plain cheap copy paper. That's why I'm looking at the MFC-J995DW that is sold out right now.

Ask a Question