Brother MFC-L2740DW network printer error condition after Windows 10 update can't print

Brother MFC-L2740DW network printer error condition after Windows 10 update

In October 2020 Microsoft put a notice on my Lenovo ideapad that I needed to replace the version of Windows 10 with the newest version, I did. Apparently the default firewall settings of the newest Windows 10 can prevent communication with networked printers.

In November 2020 I tried to print a document from my Lenovo Ideapad to my Brother MFC-L2740DW printer which is attached to my network with wifi. Each time I tried to print I received a Windows message that the printer had an “error condition”. There was nothing wrong with the printer and I could print to it from my Macbook.

It turned out to be a setting in the Windows Firewall that was preventing the laptop from communicating with the network printer.

After spending a lot of time trying unsuccessfully to download and install only the printer and scanner drivers from Brother I finally downloaded and ran the “Full Driver and Software Package” which was the recommended software on the Brother download site for my printer. When the “Full Package” was installing it popped up a message telling me that Windows Firewall settings were preventing access to the printer and asked for my permission to change them. That fixed things. The installation completed successfully and my printer works with Windows 10 again.

Thank you Brother.

Ask a Question