"cannot communicate with...."

Canon MG 2522 connected by usb cable recently started losing connection with computer. When I try to print or scan something I get a message saying "cannot communicate with scanner (or printer) and asks me to plug it in or make sure it is connected. Canon support suggests reboot/turn printer on/off, replug in cable, and other basic things et al. Step two is to uninstall then re-install software. I have uninstalled all canon software and re-installed from disc that came in box. That worked, .... until I turned the computer off and started it again the next day. It again was not connected. Next time I uninstalled the drivers, and re-installed the latest driver from canon. This again worked. ... until I turned the computer off and then on again the next day. I am losing connectivity then I turn the computer off. I do not accept that every time i want to print or scan that I will have to uninstall/re-install some software each time. I use a cable specifically so i don't have to mess with wireless, or a router. I expected a physical link would work more easily than all the issues with a router would.
I do believe this started after an update to the windows 10 pro system i am running.

even considering just buying another cheap printer, but not sure that would solve things if the issue is with microsoft.

Ask a Question