Canon MG 2120 - - ink use at start up ?

Hi ,

My new MG 2120 goes through several gyrations when powered up and wonder if it is using ink each time I start it ?
Thanks ,
Netsinger

I don't have experience with this specific printer, but with other Canon printers, some or most of what you hear is the printer positioning the print-head after being "parked".

How much printing and how often do you print? The less you print, the higher proportion of ink will be used for keeping the nozzles unclogged.

I've read Canon tech manuals on several printers, and there is a well-defined schedule for minor, moderate, and major head cleanings, based on the print-driver count of ink droplets printed, whether cartridge and/or print-head have been removed, time between use, if ink level monitoring has been disabled, and maybe another factor or two.

BTW:
The MG2120 is a very entry level printer, with a "combined CL-241 print-head + multiple ink reservoirs" in the dye cartridge. It perhaps is CMY rather than CMYK, which limits image quality, especially photos, and tends to use more dye ink because non-text Black has to be comprised of Cyan + Magenta + Yellow.

Frankly, if you are concerned about ink usage, you may have the wrong printer. This category of printer is especially heavily subsidized by the printer manufacturers, to "set the hook" for subsequent ink sales.

With very low print volume, or almost all text with the Black pigment cartridge, perhaps such a printer is justified ... but don't neglect weekly nozzle checks. Or look for a way to "get out of the inkjet printing business".

Ask a Question