Canon PIXMA Pro 10S ink issues

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has had the same issue as me and is able to help.

I bought a brand new Canon PIXMA Pro 10S from Currys this year. It was working great, but then just 5 months later both the paper feed trays wouldn't detect paper. I tried all solutions online and called Canon who advised me that this would have to be sent for repair. They wanted me to pay to get it sent off myself (!) so I decided to see if I could get somewhere with Currys instead. Currys said they wouldn't be able to give me a new printer even though it was under warranty and that I would have to send it off to be repaired. This was over the Christmas period which is often busy for me so I could have done with having my printer.

Three weeks later and I got a call from Currys saying that they had sent back a new printer. When I went to pick it up it was obviously a refurb. The report and checklist that came with the refurb printer says that just before they sent it back to me they have tested it all works. The one thing that it said was that the grey ink was empty so I would need to replace this before using.

I've now just got the printer out of the box and went to change the ink as I normally would and half the red lights on the inks were off which means that they're not installed properly. The grey was flashing so I replaced that and the light went on with no issues. I then tried replacing one of the inks that had no light on and it's made no difference. I've tried taking them out and putting them back in again but no matter what I do, the print head just won't detect these inks.

I'm basically stuck on what to do next and how to solve this. It's been such a faff already getting this sent off and lugging it to the Currys store. Lockdown has made it even more difficult too. It just feels like I've sent off my old printer with one problem and they've sent me one back with another!

I know it's a long shot but if you have any ideas or advice on what I should do or try next then please let me know!

Thank you!

...I've now just got the printer out of the box and went to change the ink as I normally would and half the red lights on the inks were off which means that they're not installed properly. The grey was flashing so I replaced that and the light went on with no issues. I then tried replacing one of the inks that had no light on and it's made no difference. I've tried taking them out and putting them back in again but no matter what I do, the print head just won't detect these inks.
Not 100% here but it sounds like the cartridges for the positions with no lights have been refilled and as part of the printer behaviour the ink monitoring has been disabled to allow them to be used.

The good news is that if I'm right you can replace one of the other cartridges with a new one and the ink monitoring should start working again and the light indicators work as before.

As a point of order though I would complain to Currys and Canon support centre that a refurb has been supplied with non-OEM supplies that have been modified/refilled which is definitely not Canon policy and should not be for Currys either.

Hope that's of some help.

Ask a Question