Canon TS8050 always selects cassette on automatic, never rear tray

My Canon TS8050 used to work OK when paper source was set to "automatically select". By default it would select the rear tray (which suits my needs) and if no paper there would change to the cassette.
Now if set to "automatically select" it always chooses the cassette (although the diagram shows paper feed from both trays) even if the tray is empty or removed - it then gives the "out of paper" message.
I have to manually select the rear tray every time I print as it reverts to automatically select each time.

Can someone tell me how I can reset it so that the rear tray is the default when on automatic as it used to or, failing that, how to set it so it remains on "rear tray" for more thasn just one print run.

Hi Kiredoryor,
I also have a TS8050, albeit with another 'problem' , see https://www.printerforums.net/threads/ts8050-ink-drying-wait-time-setting-not-working.67263/
Maybe you are so friendly to check if that 'ink drying wait time' setting actually works for you printer? (I have the impression it's a 'general' driver or firmware problem … )
(The easiest way to check is to print in duplex mode a document consisting of 4 blank pages and measure the print time for the two ink drying wait time settings, short and long)

If I can help you with your problem I am happy to. But I do not really understand your explanation because you mention 'automatically select' for the two different settings you use. Maybe a typo?

Hi WGmaker,
I'll check your 'ink drying wait time' query shortly.
Meanwile the attached shows the "automatically select" option on the printer settings. I have now resolved the issue and have persuaded the printer to select from the rear tray by default and the cassette only if that runs out.
Printer options.jpg

Interesting . I will have a look at that . How did you …. "have persuaded the printer to select from the rear tray by default and the cassette only if that runs out." ?

There is another annoying limitation with paper selection. I use double sided 'professional inkjet paper 120gr' from HP, excellent stuff if you print with Matt Photo paper setting. But there is no paper option to use that paper setting in duplex. They seem to have forgotten that there is double sided photo paper on the market ..

Ask a Question