Colour Printer: default to B&W, optionally color [Windows 10 & 11]

Bought a new colour printer for home office use and now looking for a way to set it by default to make B&W prints, but with the option by print to select a colour print. We are using both Windows 10 and Windows 11 environments in our work laptops and home PC's.

In windows settings I can go to manage a printer and from there I have found 2 places to edit
- Printing preferences
- Printer Properties --> Advanced --> Printing defaults

Setting in printing preferences on the Paper/Quality tab the color to Black and white results in just B&W prints, even though I would try to set the colour printing option on while in print preview of an app...

Printing defaults settings have no affect on end result...

So how could I get by default the PC to print B&W, but have an option to print in colour if selected by print?
(ca 80% of what I need to print is B&W)

Printer is Xerox C315 MFP

Did you install the correct driver on your computer or are you letting windows try and figure it out?
Yes I installed the Xerox setup wizard... Thx for the idea though...

As now I updated the driver manually to Xerox latest PCL driver (apparently wasn't the latest from wizard???)

Now it works just the way it should - THANK YOU!

Ask a Question