Epson Artisan 1430 - Black and White prints Green Hue on Photo Paper

I'm using Photoshop CS3 and have a black and white photo I wish to print in black and white.

In Page Setup, I have chosen PHOTO, Premium Photo Paper Glossy, and set the Advanced to Black/Grayscale. Color Management shows Color Controls selected and Gamma 2.2.

I have Color Handling: Photoshop Manages Colors.

This prints out my black and white with a green hue. It's never done this before.

However, if I change the paper to "Plain Paper/ Bright White Paper", it prints correctly.

So I changed it back to "Premium Photo Paper Glossy" but had it print to printer paper just to make sure this wasn't an issue with old photo paper or something. Had to try. It prints with green hue again.

So the problem is somehow related to the PAPER SELECTION!

But why? I was able to print black and white to Photo paper before without any issue.

I'm so confused. Anyone?

Be sure using Epson OEM Ink & cartridges
Try printing "Windows Photo Viewer"

Open photo in Windows Photo Viewer
Select Print at top of page
Select Printer, Photo Size, Quality (Best), Paper Type (glossy or premium glossy)
Make no other settings under "Options" (In Printer Preferences)
Click Print button at bottom of page

Suspect Photoshop may be culprit. Could be ink if Old or non OEM.

Be sure using Epson OEM Ink & cartridges
Try printing "Windows Photo Viewer"

Open photo in Windows Photo Viewer
Select Print at top of page
Select Printer, Photo Size, Quality (Best), Paper Type (glossy or premium glossy)
Make no other settings under "Options" (In Printer Preferences)
Click Print button at bottom of page

Suspect Photoshop may be culprit. Could be ink if Old or non OEM.

Thank you, but that cannot be it.

1. If the ink is the problem, then it would not print correctly on any setting. As mentioned in my OP, it prints correctly when set to print plain paper.

2. It printed fine before. Something changed in Photoshop and I don't know what. So I'm trying to figure out the correct 'setting' to get a pure black and white printout. I'm trying to use just black ink only.

I'm puzzled that you would suspect Photoshop. Are you suspecting the settings? Me too.
But if you are suspecting the program itself, that wouldn't make sense to me. Photoshop is one of the best apps for doing this kind of thing.

:)

Not here to argue. Just attempting to isolate your problem.
If you print as instructed within Windows Photo Viewer, and if print is good, then problem area would seem
to be PhotoShop or settings within. If on the other hand, Photo Viewer print produces green hue, then would
point to ink, photo paper, or Printing Preference settings. Good Luck

Not here to argue. Just attempting to isolate your problem.
If you print as instructed within Windows Photo Viewer, and if print is good, then problem area would seem
to be PhotoShop or settings within. If on the other hand, Photo Viewer print produces green hue, then would
point to ink, photo paper, or Printing Preference settings. Good Luck

Neither am I. I'm simply trying to convey the issue the best I can and I do appreciate your taking the time to reply.

The Windows Photo app produces the SAME problem. With that said, the Windows Photo app did not have a paper choice of 'copy paper'. Using Epson's preference settings, however, the Photo app does exactly the same as Photoshop.

So this would imply that neither app is the culprit. However, it's not the ink either.

Why?

Because when I print with the Epson setting to "Plain Paper / Bright White Paper", it prints CORRECTLY. Pure Black and White without any green hue. Thus, the ink is fine.

I can print to Photo Glossy with the "Plain Paper..." setting and get a pure Black and White photo.

But as soon as I choose "Premium Photo Paper Glossy" as my paper, it will print the green hue on ANY paper I use, including copy paper. The green hue issue is tied up in the Epson paper settings and I don't know what to look for to make the changes.

Thanks.

Un-install Epson 1430. Follow this:
Control Panel -> Devices & Printers -> Right Click Epson 1430 Icon -> Select Remove Device
Now re-install Epson 1430 using Epson Install CD
Be careful to follow Epson Fold-out Install instructions
Some Epson printers require USB cable to be disconnected through part of Install process
Now make no changes to Printing Preferences. Repeat Make no changes to Printing Preferences
Instead make these settings in Windows Photo Viewer
Select printer (Artisan 1430)
Select Paper Size (4X6 or 5X7 or A6)
Select Quality (Best Photo)
Select Paper Type (Premium Photo Paper Glossy)
Insert Glossy or premium photo paper glossy into paper tray
Click Print at bottom of page

You can also try this:
Control Panel -> Devices & Printers -> Right Click Artisan 1430 Icon -> Select Printing Preferences
Under Main Tab Select "Reset Defaults" at bottom of page
Under Advanced Tab Select "Reset Defaults" at bottom of page
Print photo using "Windows Photo Viewer" per previous

Un-install Epson 1430. Follow this:
Control Panel -> Devices & Printers -> Right Click Epson 1430 Icon -> Select Remove Device
Now re-install Epson 1430 using Epson Install CD
Be careful to follow Epson Fold-out Install instructions
Some Epson printers require USB cable to be disconnected through part of Install process
Now make no changes to Printing Preferences. Repeat Make no changes to Printing Preferences
Instead make these settings in Windows Photo Viewer
Select printer (Artisan 1430)
Select Paper Size (4X6 or 5X7 or A6)
Select Quality (Best Photo)
Select Paper Type (Premium Photo Paper Glossy)
Insert Glossy or premium photo paper glossy into paper tray
Click Print at bottom of page

Thanks again for your response and time spent.

Just completed your instructions to the letter.

Unfortunately, the green hue is still there when setting to Premium Photo Paper Glossy.

Please note: I used to be able to get solid black and white from this setting. Now I have to use "plain paper" setting to achieve a solid black and white photo. Ughhh!

What we know for sure:

The ink is good. This is because it prints correctly (pure black and white) when set to Plain paper.

The Epson software/drivers are up-to-date.

The printer has the capability to print pure black and white photos.

The issue is not photoshop or Windows Photo (btw, the original Windows Photo Viewer is NOT available in Windows 10 nor can it be installed. Rather, it is now a matter of right-clicking the photo in File Manager and selecting "Open with..", and from there choose "Photos". This opens an app that allows for settings such as paper type, size, orientation, quality and color mode (Monochrome).

I will now try your other suggestions.

You can also try this:
Control Panel -> Devices & Printers -> Right Click Artisan 1430 Icon -> Select Printing Preferences
Under Main Tab Select "Reset Defaults" at bottom of page
Under Advanced Tab Select "Reset Defaults" at bottom of page
Print photo using "Windows Photo Viewer" per previous

It has improved, with much less 'green hue'. However, there is still a slight 'green hue' still there rather than the pure black and white I am able to achieve by using the 'plain' paper type.

I'm so baffled by this. Why in the world should the PAPER TYPE affect the hue???

There has got to be something that is between the photo application and the printer affecting this, since the app (whether Windows Photo or Photoshop) is doing the same exact thing.

I think I'm going to cry... don't look.

Hey did you end up solving this at all. I’m having the exact same issue, same printer. Except it’s a blue/purple hue. I can’t print on the plain paper setting because I need to print some art prints on super thick premium Matt paper. When I try (with plain paper setting) it bands because the paper is much thicker. It’s driving me nuts. It doesn’t matter which program I choose to print. It’s basically when the paper is any other selection other than plain paper.

Sorry, but that was nearly 6 years ago and I don't recall. I still have and use the printer, but not much for printing black and white photos. Wish I could help.

Ask a Question