Epson Artisan 1430 yellow turns black

R

reepotomac

Epson Artisan 1430, just over three years old I think, print roughly 3-4 full color pages a week, anyway, the print looked really dark. A nozzle check showed the yellow looked almost like the black. The yellow and black cartridges are next to each other. Do a head cleaning. That fixes it but if the printer sits for an hour the yellow starts turning gray again. I don't think the ink changes color but something makes it degrade into a dark gray output. My plan is to run out the yellow and black cartridges and if it does it on the new ones take it to get repaired. Is that a sensible plan you think? Anyone have anything to say about this?

Epson Artisan 1430, just over three years old I think, print roughly 3-4 full color pages a week, anyway, the print looked really dark. A nozzle check showed the yellow looked almost like the black. The yellow and black cartridges are next to each other. Do a head cleaning. That fixes it but if the printer sits for an hour the yellow starts turning gray again. I don't think the ink changes color but something makes it degrade into a dark gray output. My plan is to run out the yellow and black cartridges and if it does it on the new ones take it to get repaired. Is that a sensible plan you think? Anyone have anything to say about this?
Did you ever get a fix on this? Same thing here

Epson 1430, I have the same issue. Do a nozzle check and the yellow is nearly the same as black. Complete lines, no dropouts, just wrong coior. A nozzle clean or two and nozzle check clears up. Wasting ink with each nozzle cleaning.

This is from excess ink where the heads are parked. YOu need to clean the head parking rubber.

I have burned thru 1 1/2 sets of cartridges and I will never have a correct nozzle check. Always black instead of yellow. I'm trashing this printer. along with a P400 I paid around $600 about 2 years ago because of a dead cyan printhead. I'm going to Canon printers now and will never look back.

I think the problem is explained here earlier on this forum ...
file:///Users/geneschultz/Documents/Epson%20Printer%20Problem/Artisan%201430%20black%20streaks%20|%20PrinterKnowledge%20-%20Laser,%203D,%20Inkjet%20Printer%20Help.html

... "The problem is that the printhead has an internal leak between the black and yellow channel. This is unavoidable with use no matter even with OEM ink. It is a design/fabrication weakness where the printhead delaminates or cracks at a weak spot that fatigues. It is usually between the yellow and black, so it is spot on."

My Artisan 1430 is for personal use, and is not used commercially. My workaround is to first print a file containing large yellow rectangles to purge the black ink from the yellow before I print a colored document. ... See attached "purge yellow" file.

Up to now I have been a loyal Epson Ink user. I didn't want to waste the ink from the over $20 dollar each ink cartridges and prematurely fill my waste ink tank with excessive cleanings. I decided to look for refilled ink cartridges if I wanted to continue to use the 1430 printer. I found a box of EZInk cartridges on Amazon for about $25. ... Seven cartridges includes an extra black cartridge. My first concern was will the printer recognize the cartridges. The first cartridge to be used was Yellow. So far it is working. I will soon need to replace the Black and Cyan cartridges. Fingers crossed.

MY QUESTION IS: How long before the Waste Ink Tank is full and the printer locks up? Is it triggered by the Copy Count or the Number of Nozzle Cleanings? How do I get the number of copies I've already printed from my Epson Artisan 1430 printer? I've searched the Internet, but so far I haven't found it. My computer is a MacBook Pro if it makes a difference.

Will a new Epson printer have the same problems with the piezo print head? Is the thermal print head (Canon) any better? I've read it operates at high heat. What would be a good replacement for the Epson Artisan 1430 printer?

I think printers with the bottled ink have waste ink tanks that can be replaced or "cleaned." That might be an advantage if the print heads keep working.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Yellow Purge Rectangles.pdf
    10.1 KB · Views: 44
file:///Users/geneschultz/Documents/Epson%20Printer%20Problem/Artisan%201430%20black%20streaks%20|%20PrinterKnowledge%20-%20Laser,%203D,%20Inkjet%20Printer%20Help.html

... "The problem is that the printhead has an internal leak between the black and yellow channel. This is unavoidable with use no matter even with OEM ink. It is a design/fabrication weakness where the printhead delaminates or cracks at a weak spot that fatigues. It is usually between the yellow and black, so it is spot on."

My Artisan 1430 is for personal use, and is not used commercially. My workaround is to first print a file containing large yellow rectangles to purge the black ink from the yellow before I print a colored document. ... See attached "purge yellow" file.

Up to now I have been a loyal Epson Ink user. I didn't want to waste the ink from the over $20 dollar each ink cartridges and prematurely fill my waste ink tank with excessive cleanings. I decided to look for refilled ink cartridges if I wanted to continue to use the 1430 printer. I found a box of EZInk cartridges on Amazon for about $25. ... Seven cartridges includes an extra black cartridge. My first concern was will the printer recognize the cartridges. The first cartridge to be used was Yellow. So far it is working. I will soon need to replace the Black and Cyan cartridges. Fingers crossed.

MY QUESTION IS: How long before the Waste Ink Tank is full and the printer locks up? Is it triggered by the Copy Count or the Number of Nozzle Cleanings? How do I get the number of copies I've already printed from my Epson Artisan 1430 printer? I've searched the Internet, but so far I haven't found it. My computer is a MacBook Pro if it makes a difference.

Will a new Epson printer have the same problems with the piezo print head? Is the thermal print head (Canon) any better? I've read it operates at high heat. What would be a good replacement for the Epson Artisan 1430 printer?

I think printers with the bottled ink have waste ink tanks that can be replaced or "cleaned." That might be an advantage if the print heads keep working.

Thanks for any help.
My last nozzle check had all colors except for cyan printing black mixed with corresponding colors

Thanks for any help.

Thank you so so much! I just made a file of yellow rectangles, printed and now it's fine. So annoying and such a waste of ink! I haven't been printing at least one print a week so I will add that to my process and hopefully things will keep moving and I'll have fewer issues. This was so helpful, thanks again!

When I print color I may have to print 3 Purge Yellow pages before the black has cleared.

FYI: I decided to stop paying the Epson price for ink cartridges where I have to waste the ink, so I tried re-manufactured cartridges. I am trying the E-Zink brand. ... https://www.amazon.com/Z-Ink-Remanu...3a-8a10-78ea74630e60&pd_rd_i=B07CJ95HJJ&psc=1

A full set of cartridges plus an extra black cartridge for $26 ... About the price of one yellow cartridge ... for 7 cartridges!

So far I have replaced the yellow, cyan and black cartridges with no problems noticed. The Artisan 1430 is long out of warranty and I don't do any commercial work. The colors look fine to me.

My question is: How do I tell how many copies I can make before my Waste Ink Tank is full? ... Eventually I will need to get another printer.

Last edited:
I am having the same problem. It seems to be called a crossover. The fix is a new print head. Mine is being replaced now. Cost is $295.00 for the head and labor. I have been advised that the printer that replaced the Artisan 1430 is not as good a printer. The 1430 seems to be in high demand. So, get yours fixed if you can and keep it. Or fix it and sell it. You should get a very good price for it in working condition.

Ask a Question