Epson Stylus Pro 9500 - do I need a new print head?

I've inherited an old Epson 9500 that had been stored for a number of years. I've managed to get all the inks working and the test print (nozzle check) comes out clear but I'm not happy with the quality of the prints that its producing. I've set it to 1440dpi which is its finest setting and tried different paper settings etc but the detail isn't as sharp as I thought it would be and there appears to be some points that are just dots of random colours (often to form shadows).

Am I expecting too much of 1440dpi or is the print head acting its age? Any and all advice on getting the best out of this machine would be appreciated.

If you have a look on the Luminous Landscape site that is dedicated to high end photography you will grind lots of advice on the 9500 printer including unfortunately print head issues. These are fabulous printers but need to be used regularly or the print heads clog and often need replacing.

Check the site - there is volumes of advice there - good luck!

Ask a Question