Epson Stylus under Linux

I would like to advise anyone that if they wish to buy a printer stay well away from Epson.

I have been speaking to their support in regards to obvious lack of support for their product under Linux as well as general functionality of device.

Firstly their selling point is their cheap ink cartridge do no be fooled by this since their printers have some design flaws meaning when any of the colours run out the printer stops functioning and sits there saying replace cartridge - you can not even use b/w feature.

Secondly after speaking with their support it has now become more clear well here it is from the horses mouth :

However, it might be worth noting that the primary initialisation process, that is carried out when you insert the first set of cartridges into the printer, may use up to a third of the ink. This is due to the fact that this initial charging process primes the print head with the ink it needs to print.

Serious buy anything but an Epson

Last edited:
This is a rather biased view. My understanding is ALL printers do an initial charge using ~1/3 of the ink of the first set of cart's.

Most printer manufactures don't support linux, but as im sure your aware there are some private projects going to try and make them.

Just because you have had one bad experience doesn't mean you can come and tell people not to buy them. Having sold a mixture of printers to consumers Epson, in my opinion, are one of the best. They have amazing print quality, reasonably priced ink, a good warranty and are well built. I'd also recommend Kodak, although there print quality isnt as good as epson (Although it is close) there ink is very well priced.

If anything, Avoid Lexmark + dell at all costs, they have bad print quality, very expensive ink, and arnt overly reliable.

Ask a Question