Epson WF 2760

PDN

I bought this WF 2760 thinking it had OCR because it mentioned it on the box. Now I know they suggest I get Abby Fine Reader.
I am not able to buy it at this time. I have a document that needs to be edited in my hands and wondered if there is another way to use OCR with it.
It is personal information so am leery about using free online OCR programs.
I can use Google's Copy Fish when it is an online article but this is not.
Any ideas?

Open Epson Scan 2, under Image Format at the bottom select "Options". In options, click the Image Format drop-down again. "Searchable PDF" may be in the list. If it is, that is your OCR.

I say "may" because recently downloaded versions of a lot of older drivers seem to be now omitting the Epson OCR component. I have a WF-7720 with drivers on three different computers. My two older computers both have the OCR component. My new laptop, with the most recently downloaded driver doesn't have OCR. I've tried most everything to find it, but no avail.

Epson's stock OCR was never that good, and I never really used it much - I also have a Brother MFC-J6945DW and the OCR that shipped with those is amazing. I suspect A) not many people used Epson's OCR any more, and B) they licensed it from a third party and when that license expired they didn't renew it. So suddenly drivers for printers that were advertised with the feature suddenly don't have it.

If the OCR component is missing for you, and if you downloaded the drivers from Epson, you may have some luck if you can uninstall those drivers and install the ones from the CD that shipped with the printer.

PDN

I do see where I have OCR engine and I just enabled it. I had written to Epson and they said I do not have the capability with WF2760 and to get Abby Fine Reader. The engine is there but not the OCR component itself according to them, for this model. I don't know the difference between engine and component.
Sadly, I discarded the disc b/c I always go to the sites for latest drivers.
I am going to test OCR with engine enabled to see. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply with such an informative post. I will let you know if it works.

PDN

VA1 DARP Success! I had to tinker a bit but it ended up as editable in Word.

These are roughly the steps I took in case someone with WF 2760 wants to use OCR without buying a program. PC = Epson>enable OCR engine> scan>select all pages>edit. Open Word. File>open>browse>all Word files=ocr.

The steps may be a bit odd as I did it from memory. If necessary post back and I will be more precise.

So editing in Word is really easier that in OCR itself as it appears.

Thank you so much for getting me to poke around again.

Ask a Question