Epson XP 640 dual side printing ink smudge

My XP640 is working fine. Except... from time to time it seems to have a problem with dual side printing.
Occasionaly the bottom left corner (seen from the front page of the dual sided print) comes out wrinkled with black ink smudged in that corner on both sides of the paper. I suspect that it only happens when there is a lot of ink (due to large images etc.) on the front side and the paper gets a bit too moist? The paper is regular A4 office paper (80 g/m²). The ink cartridges are genuine Epson cartridges.
When there is just a bit of text on the front side, the result is as it should be.
The attached image is from the back side of the page. You can see the large image on the opposite side shining through the paper.
Anyone with similar problems ?

Attachments

• img20171016_11201968.pdf
    76.5 KB · Views: 296
Navigate as follows:
Control Panel -> Devices & Printers -> Right Click XP-640 Icon -> Select Printing Preferences
Under "Page Layout Tab" adjust "Print Density" for 2 sided print. You should have Epson warning
show when selecting 2 sided print. Suspect you are not reducing amount of ink when doing 2 sided print.
You should also utilize "Printer" paper.

Navigate as follows:
Control Panel -> Devices & Printers -> Right Click XP-640 Icon -> Select Printing Preferences
Under "Page Layout Tab" adjust "Print Density" for 2 sided print. You should have Epson warning
show when selecting 2 sided print. Suspect you are not reducing amount of ink when doing 2 sided print.
You should also utilize "Printer" paper.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that.

Found the settings. I reduced the density to -30% and increased the waiting time to 20 seconds. Printed the same page again and still have the wrinkle and the ink smudge, albeit somewhat less. I don't indend to increase the settings to the point where it takes forever to print 2 sides. My previous printer (Canon Pixma) had no issues whatsoever with this.

Thanks Ruffin.
Been there, done that and it doesn't make much difference.
I returned the printer to the shop. This should work right out of the box (like your printer - or like my old Canon).

Ask a Question