Epson XP-640 Printer Ink Replacement

Is there a inexpensive alternative to replacing the otherwise expensive ink in this printer? I've read somewhere that Epson can prevent use of any other ink other than their own, amazing. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Harlan

Attachments

• ep.jpg
    ep.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 184
It seems many manufacturers are now moving in that direction. Get the latest firmware updates and one
can no longer use off-brand ink.

The cost of Epson ink for XP640 replacing all 5 cartridges exceeds 50% of the original cost of the printer. As soon as it was unboxed, set up and registered with Epson I noticed a "required" firmware update. If you install the updates, Epson is nice enough to hide enough software to prevent the use of any third party re-manufactured/refilled ink cartridges, chipped or not. As soon as suppliers figure out a work around, a "New Security Firmware" notification pops up. I simply refuse to be put in a position of buying proprietary Epson Ink. Highway robbery.

Avoiding the firmware seems to solve the problem for now. I bought the printer and as far as i'm concerned, that purchase was for 1 printer. I didn't agree to buy Epson ink, it's a rip off.

Ask a Question