Epson XP-820 replacing ink cartridges / unrecognized (re-manufactured)

wcs

Hello,

I picked up an used Epson XP-820 without any ink cartridges.

After ordering a set of 273XL's (Back, Blue, Magenta, Yellow and Photo Black)

I installed them and turned on the printer, press proceed a couple of times from the Printers LCD menu and I keep getting an error message that the all of the Ink cartridges aren't recognized.

The ink carts are advertised as Guaranteed for life of cartridge.Professionally remanufactured to meet or exceed OEM quality and longevity.

The XP-820 User Manual shows to remove it's ink carts Push in the blue tab to unlock the ink cartridge you are replacing. Then lift the bottom of the ink cartridge to remove it.

These ink carts have no blue tab. There are some clear plastic clips on the chip end which I needed to use a small screwdriver to unclip them as their underneath a horizontal Lip

Once removed and re-installed with the same error occurs - "not recognized" I need to figure out what's going on with the ink carts.

If unable to recognize I think perhaps I may need to find some OEM or aftermarkets that are compatible.

Last edited:
Install OEM Epson Ink cartridges. Many of the printer manufacturers have updated firmware that precludes use
non-oem cartridges. Here is Youtube video that will assist installing ink cartridges:

wcs

I was going to do what you suggested and purchase some OEM ink. I'm currently testing the printer as it was purchased used in an unknown condition. (without any ink installed)

However after it sat for a while turned on with the non-oem ink carts installed a warning message appeared stating that non-oem ink carts have problems and to press continue to use the non-oem carts at your own risk.

I then performed a nozzle check and some of the inks aren't quite right so I then performed a print head cleaning now twice, but the there are a few missing dots.

So perhaps I'll need to find a print head cleaning kit to flush out the print head. I believe this printer has been sitting for quite a while unused. From what I understand the ink in the print head dries up if allowed to sit extended amount of time with or without ink carts installed?

Anyway people have been successful cleaning out the print head using syringe. However some print heads such as piezo type are very sensitive. So you may need to not use any sort of syringe and instead allow the printer itself to flow the printhead cleaning solution as if it were ink.

You would need to research the type of printhead and if it's vulnerable to fluid pressure from an outside source. Potentially fluid pressure from a syringe can cause damage to some printheads.

Last edited:

wcs

It's been quite a long while since I've own an Epson printer. Here's some perhaps useful information for XP owners.

I found the printhead for the XP-820 is used with other XP models.

The printhead compatibility list I have is XP-510 XP-600 XP-610 XP-601 XP-605 XP610 XP-615 XP-620 XP-625 XP-630 XP-635 XP-700 XP-701 XP-720 XP-750 XP-800 XP-801 XP-810 XP-820 XP-830 XP-850 XP-950. However I haven't yet been able to verify this compatibly list

I'm uncertain of the printhead part number, what I have is FA09030, FA09050 and FA090500030

Firmware: When I finished installing the non-oem ink carts I was able to install a firmware update, which wouldn't install unless the ink cart(s) are installed.

Installed update version 13.5F.YD07F8 which can be downloaded from Epson website.

I had already previously installed Epson's Combo Software driver package epson15811.exe prior to installing the ink carts.

I then decided to reinstall the epson15811.exe. During this install it installed a more recent firmware 14.69.YD12H7

So apparently unless you have ink cart(s) installed your printer's firmware can't be updated.

As mention previously if trying to install non-oem ink carts you may need to leave them installed in the printer (for a while), while the printer is On, before they will be recognized by the printer and installed.

I haven't yet been able to find any details about the firmware updates, perhaps they work out a few bugs and/or improve operations.

There are other things I've been looking at after downloading and installing the WIC Reset Utility, it allows one to read various items from the printer and also to reset the waste counters.

I noticed ink levels of the newly installed ink carts are lower than expected after only three cleanings. However I'm uncertain how accurate they are. Non-oem carts often have a ARC (auto reset chip) all one needs to do to reset the cartridges is to pull each one then re-insert.

Black 37%
Cyan 62%
Yellow 62%
Magenta 62%
Black 62%

Model Epson XP-820
Status Printer is ready to print
Counter 50.88% This counter is ok.
Counter 0.18% This counter is ok.

Last edited:
Non Epson (OEM) ink carts do work with the Epson XP-820 if you go through the printer LCD errors until there's a menu that the currently installed ink cart(s) are not OEM Epson and do you wish to use the non-Epson Ink carts.

Then you select continue and then you can use the non-oem ink carts until the firmware errors again which may be until the carts are empty.

I'm don't know anything about changing printing heads and firmware. What I iid was install a CSIS (continous ink system) where every once in a while there is an error non-OEM (Epson) ink cart(s) are installed .. I then go through and reset the non-oem ink carts until the menu comes up where I can choose to use the non-oem ink carts.

I guess Epson and other printer manufacture make much of their money on selling ink carts and not the inkjet printers so they haven't changed many of their printers firmware so a printer can use non-oem carts without error messages and needing to be reset ...

However the XP-820 firmware does eventually errors and asks if you want to continue with the installed non-oem ink carts while suggesting or recommending you install oem Epson ink carts

Ask a Question