Excess toner on Brother laser belt

I have a Brother HL-4040CN that started to leave yellow toner "dirt" on the back of the printed pages. When I opened the printer I found the belt unit was very dirty with the toner. I cleaned it and reassembled. The problem went away for a while but came back with use. Then I started to get the "Print Unable 32" message. Again cleaning the belt would fix the problem for a while. I have also notice that the Yellow drum has toner on it while the other color drums appear to be pretty clean. I cleaned the Yellow drum with a clean cloth (as well as the belt) and was able to print again for approximately 30 pages before the 32 message came back. I don't want to start just replacing parts without have some idea what the root cause is. Is it the drum unit, the toner cartridge, the waste container (which I emptied and cleaned) or the belt unit. I suspecting either the drum or yellow cartridge. Any ideas?

From my experience, it sounds like either the cartridge has reached the end of its life, is defective/broken, or you are using re-manufactured or "compatible" toners. While I'm not directly against using these types of toners, I'd stay away from them on toner cartridges that include the drum assembly with it because they never seem to work right unless genuine and there are many reasons for it. Not saying replace your printer but just food for thought: if you want to use generic toners, get a laser printer where the drums come separate. There are several models and brands, even Brother printers come with this option. Otherwise you are going to have issues.

Ask a Question