Getting my Epson Workforce 435 to scan again

I have an Epson Workforce 435 on a WiFi network populated by Macs. I have an iMac (21.5", late 2009) running High Sierra (10.13.6) and a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) running Catalina (10.15.7). (My sister's computer hasn't been able to use the WF 435 for a while, it's MacBook from 2008.)

I cannot afford genuine Epson ink cartridges and I couldn't run it with others (although I tried for a very long time), so I bought a Brother laser printer for printing and continued using the Workforce 435 as a scanner.

And now it won't do that. When I try from the iMac, I get:
An error occurred while communicating with the scanner. (-9923)

When I try from the MacBook, whether I go in through Image Capture or if I add it as a printer on the network, I get:
Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)

It is clearly communicating with the network. I go to add a printer/scanner to the network under Printers & Scanners, and it shows up in the list of options. I am able to add it.

I tried updating the software and then deleting and re-adding the printer.

When I tried updating the firmware, I couldn't. The installer said:

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 7.24.27 PM.png

The only thing I can see is that the printer is stuck demanding a new magenta cartridge. I got it several, back in the day. I suspect the printer head is clogged, but I was unable to fix that problem. That's when I gave up and got the laser printer with part of my pandemic payments. It used to let me scan despite the lack of the cartridge it wanted, but not anymore.

Is there any way to get my scanner back? As you can probably tell from my computers, I am not wealthy enough to buy new hardware. I only just got this MacBook Pro when my last MacBook died and a kind local charity bought me this one.

Thank you for any assistance you can give me!

Ask a Question