Help creating custom PPD file Linux Cups

I need help with creating a custom PPD file for an Epson WorkForce 7010 on Linux using Cups. I started modifying the one that comes with the driver from Epson itself but my changes are not reflecting in the printer options.

I need the printer to list additional redefined values so that it can print custom sized borderless prints because the issue I am having is it either does borderless printing on standard size prints or custom sizes but not both; the borderless option disappears when you select to use a Custom Paper Size.

Attached is an archive including the original Epson PPD file and the one that I modified. Though my modifications should have worked, they are not. Maybe there's something minor I'm missing, but I really need this to work and it make the printer just that much more powerful.

Any help you be appreciated.

-Micheal

Attachments

• Epson-WF-7010_Series-epson-driver-PPDs.zip
    95.2 KB · Views: 256
I was able to run a cupstestppd utility from Ubuntu Linux to validate the file. After running it, I had a series of errors which after some trial and error I was able to resolve. Now I only have a few warnings unrelated to the changes I made. The size now shows up but the printer errors when printing to that size (without any other changes made).

I can already print to the desired size as a custom paper size (just without borderless which is my issue) so I'm assuming there is either something wrong with my syntax or something is missing.

I've made progress but only little for the amount of effort. I'd appreciate it if someone could help with modifying the PPD file to work. Once it does, it unlocks to WF-7XXX series printers to be much more powerful. My intent is to use this printer as a replacement to my WorkForce 1100 which was customized as a CISS Sublimation printer.

I'd even be willing to pay someone for their expertise and when I get a chance I will upload the validated PPD file (I'm not at my office right now).

P.S. For anyone else interested in improved functionality to the WF-7XXX series printers, I will create a .DEB package for Ubuntu including all WF-7XXX drivers. Then there will be no steps involved and people can just install the printer --> Easy. It be nicer obviously if the borderless option just worked when selecting a custom paper size but Epson support isn't much help there.

Thanks again.

Ask a Question