HP Litigation and the Cartridge monopoly

Dear follow victims,

My wife has recently purchased a HP printer (HP OfficeJet Pro 9020 Series) and I was shocked to learn that one of the ink-cartridges is reporting zero ink after only a few prints. There appears to be some kind of automatic refill program that she can sign-up to which provides ink on a monthly bases, however as she utilises the printer very infrequently, having the hassle and expense of this subscription service seems over-kill for her requirements. I was therefore a little taken back at the cost of purchasing a single replacement ink cartridge for this model (HP963 -> £33) and even more infuriated to discover that after-market cartridges where unavailable due to the monopoly that HP impose on their customers. Additionally, I would be unable to manually refill these cartridges myself owing to the page counter chip that is embedded into the cartridge which will report and empty cartridge whilst still containing plenty of ink to print with.

I watch the following video ..

to discover that this is a very well known corporate international scam which is still being perpetrated by large companies who appear to act with impunity. I further read-up about some of the class action law-suits which have been brought against HP and which also suggest that their behaviour is now illegal.

So my question(s) are as follows ..

1) Can I purchase any after-market cartridges which will work in this printer?

2) Can I refill the cartridges that were supplied and modify/replace the chip thus ensuring that the cartridge is not rejected?

3) Am I condemned to a life of rip-off cartridge prices supplied by HP or has this recent litigation meant a change to this monopoly?

Any help greatly appreciated as the actions of the company can’t be legal in this day and age.

Kind Regards,

Cazpian.

Interestingly ...

HP were forced to remove a software update which prevented users from using refilled and remanufactured cartridges to a number of existing models. This however, doesn't include my printer which clearly advertises this model has having the Dynamic Security feature installed. At the bottom of their statement they say ...

"HP believes in fair competition and does not employ technology preventing the use of refilled and remanufactured cartridges. Our printers with the dynamic security feature may not operate with a cartridge that does not include an Original HP chip."

Which would, if true, mean that they should allow this option to be removed from all their printers which have them.

Last edited:

Ask a Question