HP M254dw toner leaking

Hello,
In an effort to try to reduce the cost of printing I purchased some compatible toner cartridges for my printer rather than OEM ones. These were of the XL variety to help prolong their life.
Being an HP printer I first had to remove the firmware updates (and then turn off the auto update capability) to be able to use them, but that was just the start of my troubles.
Once they were installed I did have success in printing for a while, but the print quality has degraded over time. It looks like (based on streaks on the print and a visual inspection of the Internal Transfer Belt (ITB) that the cartridges are leaking toner on each print run. My suspicion is that the compatible cartridges are defective, possibly on the seals/wiper. This is possible to resolve by buying the pricy OEM cartridges but the amount of toner on the ITB and rollers concerns me.

My questions are as follows:
1) Should I have to resort to OEM cartridges?
2) Should I stick to standard capacity cartridges or should the XL ones work without leaking?
3) Should I disassemble, clean and reassemble the printer (specifically the ITB) to clean out the spilt toner or will a few cleaning runs after new cartridges sort this?
4) If disassembly is advised then does anyone know of any resources describing how to do this for my model as I don't seem to be able to find any?
5) Is it worth trying to fix the printer or is it likely that the leaked toner has wrecked the unit?
6) Are there any tests I can do on the cartridges to see if they are continuing to be the cause of the issue (rather than an old leak that continues to affect print quality)?
7) Presumably the rollers also will need cleaning but are there any other components to check to improve print quality?

Sorry for so many questions, just trying to work out the best course of action.
Cheers,
Mike

Ask a Question