HP OfficeJet Pro 7720 prints wrong size and format

I'm sorry for the length of this post, but I want to be specific.

Info:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit OS on an HP 15-f387wm 15.6" Laptop
AMD Quad-Core A8-7410 APU Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive
The software and drivers for the printer are installed on my laptop, and I believe they're up to date.

I have a 114 page document in .pdf format I want to print using an HP OfficeJet Pro 7720 wide format printer. The paper is 11 x 17, and the printed pages should be formatted with two 8.5 x 11 pages- one on each side of the 11 x 17 paper. Thus it should appear as two book pages on each 11 x 17 pieces of paper. See image below.
AJ1nDRR

The printer is connected with an ethernet cable to my router. I've never connected any printer I ever owned with this type of ethernet to router method. In the past I've always used a usb connection. I do not want to use a wireless connection with my printer. The Foxit Phantom print menu shows the Zoom to be 96.62% even though the reading view of the open document is sized at 100%. When I try to use the menu to scale the print menu to 100% the format of the document changes in print preview to be only one page per sheet and appearing as a portrait format in the print preview, so I can't print the document correctly formatted and sized.

When I open my document with Foxit Phantom version 9.4 scaled at 100%, and try to print my pages two per sheet correctly formatted as book pages should look on 11x17 paper, if I choose to use the HP 7720 series driver, the pages print too small on the 11x17 inch paper, but they do print as 2 pages per sheet.

I opened Control Panel > Devices and Printers > and I set the OfficeJet Pro 7720 as the default printer. Then I go through the menu steps and adjust the settings as seen in the image below of the Printer Properties Menu.
5c9tSLN

I believe maybe there's a problem with my printed pages because when going through the menu options in "The Menus" the Advanced > Preserve Layout option set to "No" (number 6 in "The Menus image) and the drop down menu that should allow me to choose "Yes" is grayed out. Here I'll just give my opinion about HP even thinking about offering the option to choose whether or not the user wants to preserve the layout of their document. If someone goes to the trouble of setting all the options how to print the document, such as number of pages, paper size, ect., why would they then change their mind about it? If the choice is "No," what exactly is the printed result going to look like? Pages too small as my results have been? Perhaps this is part of the problem I'm having printing my document pages. HOW CAN I UN-GRAY THE DROP DOWN MENU SO AS TO CHOOSE "YES"?

I also installed the HP Delivery Driver V4, and tried to print my document pages using that driver. I tried that and the printer started spewing out page after page of paper with an odd string of characters at the top as seen in the image below.
bA5pnIQ

I tried opening the .pdf in Firefox and printing it, but since I used the same HP 7720 driver, the printed pages appeared too small on the 11x17 paper even though the view in the browser was set to 100%.

I've checked to be sure I have appropriate permissions to access my .pdf document and that they're not set to read only. I've set permissions for the printer and print server so I should have adequate access. I've run the Windows 10 Troubleshooter, and tried using the HP Print and Scan Doctor with no positive results. I opened System32 and set permission for the Drivers, Driver State, and Driver Store folders. I used regedit to make sure I had appropriate permissions for all the HP printer associated registry keys I searched for and found. No luck.

Ask a Question