HP Z2100 Carriage Jams on Left Side

I am working on an old HP Z2100 that I picked up today basically for free that has sat idle for a long time. I have all the heads working perfectly now on the test page and am able to print from Windows 10 apps, but I keep getting random "paper jam" 86:01 errors when there is no paper in the machine. I have examined the paper path meticulously and there is nothing in there anywhere. I can't feel any change in the resistance when moving the carriage from left to right other than a springy stop at the end on the left.

Every time I get the jam error the carriage is at the far left side, 80% out in the open rather than back under the outer case. I did clean off the pad over the wast tank on the left side as it was gooey with ink on the top of the pad but that was it other than cleaning the heads outside the printer. Maybe I did something over there on the left that is preventing the carriage from heading far left. I shut it down, slide the carriage to the far right then turn on the machine and about half the time it works fine, for a while then I get the error again.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ask a Question