Inkjet or laser?

I need a multifunction printer for my small business. I average year-round about 1500 pages a month. I'd like to be able to print in color when I need to, even if it's just my logo on the folios I print out.
Had 2 different all-in-one inkjets, both went to hell inside a year. Most recently, an HP Officejet 6310.
I'm willing to pay a little more for a quality, fast quiet commercial printer that will stand up to 18,000 pages in a year and not cost me an arm and a leg for ink.
Any suggestions?

Colour printer for office use

If you don't print photos, laser printers may be more effective and more reliable. Make sure they speak a standard language (like postscript 3) rather than proprietary ones that may make harder to find drivers that work.

Gel printers may be an option, if you need to print some photos, too.

The most reliable brands according to surveys are XXXXXXX and Brother (sorry I censored the first because I just bought a printer that is useless junk due to non-working linux driver fom their website).
Personal experience (for what is worth) of Brother is limited to an HL-760 (black and white, paid £5 second hand) that has been working for over 10 years without any issues what so ever and is automatically recognised by Windows XP or newer, as well as Linux (any main distribution less than 10 years old). So no custom drivers needed.
Its design was superb with near straight paper path.

You definitely need a laser printer - there's a reason why companies use them and for business related matters they're superior on many levels.

To start with, don't even bother with HP anymore since Carly Fiorina took over the quality has taken a serious drop in the last 10 years and they're frankly living in the borrowed time of a reputation they once had.

In terms of savings you definitely need a laser printer, in terms of reliability a laser printer, in terms of ease of use a laser printer - they're better for most aspects of printing. They're more reliable because their moving parts don't need constant lubrication from ink and hence won't dry out if not used for a week or so. They save far more in money and need restocking far less frequently - and their toner is comparably inexpensive compared to this lack of usage especially.

They work quickly, print quickly, don't need maintenance, are less likely to suffer errors and unless you need a very fantastically glossy logo then their resolution values are perfectly fine unless you're trying to print of some photo-quality pictures.

Go with a laser-jet all in one, go on Amazon and check out the different printers, don't get a HP whatever you do - I'd go Canon, and simply read through the reviews and give heed to the ones that were written by people who actually know what they're talking about as opposed to "it's so cool' time wasters.

Ask a Question