J6920DW stopped black printing

My Brother J6920DW printer has stopped printing using the black cartridge. The magenta, yellow, and cyan cartridges still work properly. The black cartridge is no longer working even though I installed a brand new black cartridge and all indications show 100% for the cartridge. Needless to say not only is black-white printing failing to print anything at all but even color printing shows very light because no printing using the black cartridge is succeeding. Any ideas how I might be able to fix this would be appreciated.

First do a quality report. Do any of the black jets work? Have you tried head cleaning? What was the effect? If you do a quality report after a couple rounds of head cleaning and it shows no black jets are working, then things to try are:
- Is there a tab on the cartridge to pull? My 6945 doesn't have one, but I believe the LC101 cartridge your printer uses does have a tab.
- If the above wasn't an issue, then get a flashlight, take the cartridge out, and inspect where the printer where the cartridge inserts. Make sure there isn't debris or dried ink there. If a cartridge was left out for a while then the ink can dry and form a barrier. If there is dried ink, then windex (or any cleaner with amonia) and a q-tip is good candidate to help clean it out.

First do a quality report. Do any of the black jets work? Have you tried head cleaning? What was the effect? If you do a quality report after a couple rounds of head cleaning and it shows no black jets are working, then things to try are:
- Is there a tab on the cartridge to pull? My 6945 doesn't have one, but I believe the LC101 cartridge your printer uses does have a tab.
- If the above wasn't an issue, then get a flashlight, take the cartridge out, and inspect where the printer where the cartridge inserts. Make sure there isn't debris or dried ink there. If a cartridge was left out for a while then the ink can dry and form a barrier. If there is dried ink, then windex (or any cleaner with amonia) and a q-tip is good candidate to help clean it out.
I did a cleaning of the black cartridge and the black printing was working again. I must have been pressing the wrong button to clean only the color cartridges before. Thanks for your help !

Ask a Question