Mapping from XP to printer shared on Win7

I have a customer who just bought a new HP LaserJet Pro and hooked I up to a Windows 7 Pro x64 system via USB cable. It is replacing a dead printer.

They also want to be able to print to it from an old XP system on the network. Both systems are domain-joined.

However no matter what method I use, I am unable to get the printer properly mapped. It gets to the point of adding the driver and that's where the problem arises.

On the host PC I have both x64 and x32 drivers installed. But the manufacturers drivers for this printer are different for Win7 and XP. So when adding the printer on the XP system it tries to utilize the x32 driver it finds on the host PC. But that driver doesn't work with XP. It does give me the option of looking elsewhere for the driver and I tell it to load the XP driver I have extracted on the XP system. It goes through the motions of installing the XP driver but then still gives an error and the printer isn't fully mapped.

So I'm now thinking that it is not possible to host a printer on a Win7 x64 system and map to it from an XP system when the Win7 and XP drivers are different.

The only way I can see to access this printer from both PCs is to get the printer directly connected to the local network and map to its IP address from each system. Then there's no sharing going on and each PC should be able to install its respective driver and successfully complete the mapping.

Thoughts?

Download and install Win XP driver on XP system.
Install Win 7 X64 driver on Win 7 64 bit system.
Connect printer via network only.
Print via either computer to network printer.
Regards

Download and install Win XP driver on XP system.
Install Win 7 X64 driver on Win 7 64 bit system.
Connect printer via network only.
Print via either computer to network printer.
Regards
Connecting the printer to the network and mapping to it's IP is what I was coming to the conclusion of as being the only solution. Will let you know how it works out.

Ask a Question