MFC J4420DW not printing in black

I have an older Brother MFC J4420DW, SN: U63871D8F157800. Recently it was giving trouble printing in black. I installed a new cartridge, cleaned the print heads, still having the same problem. (I also had to change one or two of the color cartridges over a day or so.)

I watched youtube videos on how to clean the print heads manually on an inkjet printer. I did this, and did not encounter any blockages. The problem persists

I am having no trouble with the color cartridges. Test page shows full color on each of them. However, the black is very bad, even with the new cartridge. (After cleaning the print head manually, I was able to print 5-10 pages, but then the black went bad again: streaky, white lines etc. - unreadable).

Some online sights suggest there might be a problem with the purge pump or the absorber pads. However, it seems to me that if it were either of these issues, I would not be getting perfect test prints on the color inks.

Can anyone suggest anything else that would give trouble only with the black ink? (I installed a second new cartridges, thinking the first one might have been faulty.) I really like this printer and would like to be able to continue using it.

Thank you.

Nan

Ask a Question