MFC-L2710DW bricked (sort of)

Discussion in 'Brother' started by Doppler, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Doppler

Doppler

Hi all,

Recently I bought Brother MFC-L2710WD printer in Germany. Printer commands were no German, I tried to switch to EN version and find a way to do it in MAINTENANCE MODE. Typing 74 and then 0003 as Englis language. Now, the printer is on English but with different firmware!! When I open web interface it says that my printer is DCP-B7520DW series. How is that possible? Now, I lost my fax functions and also lost the ability to scan with ADF drawer. So I tried to go in MAINTENANCE MODE again and change language code to 0A03 (that was originally one). Problem is, right now I can not type letters. So I'm stuck on this firmware...

It would be helpful if someone has the same printer so just to send me a screenshot of firmware version so I can try to download it from Brother servers using curl post request and update a correct firmware or if someone had the same problem to help me solve this!!

Doppler, Apr 6, 2019
    PrinterSprinter likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Doppler

Doppler

Ok, I received firmware information from a forum user that has the same printer. I created a request.xml file and post it with curl request. Did not worked.

<REQUESTINFO>
    <FIRMUPDATETOOLINFO>
    <FIRMCATEGORY>MAIN</FIRMCATEGORY>
    <OS>LINUX</OS>
    <INSPECTMODE>1</INSPECTMODE>
    </FIRMUPDATETOOLINFO>

<FIRMUPDATEINFO>
    <MODELINFO>
    <SELIALNO></SELIALNO>
    <NAME>MFC-L2710DW</NAME>
    <SPEC>0A03</SPEC>
    <DRIVER></DRIVER>
    <FIRMINFO>
    <FIRM>
    <ID>MAIN</ID>
    <VERSION>M1901251404</VERSION>
    </FIRM>
    <FIRM>
    <ID>SUB5</ID>
    <VERSION>2.04</VERSION>
    </FIRM>
    </FIRMINFO>
    </MODELINFO>
    <DRIVERCNT>1</DRIVERCNT>
    <LOGNO>2</LOGNO>
    <ERRBIT></ERRBIT>
    <NEEDRESPONSE>1</NEEDRESPONSE>
    </FIRMUPDATEINFO>
    </REQUESTINFO>

Curl request is like this.

curl -X POST -d @request.xml https://firmverup.brother.co.jp/kne_bh7_update_nt_ssl/ifax2.asmx/fileUpdate -H "Content-Type:text/xml" > response.xml

If anyone has an MFC-L2710DW firmware German version and if anyone knows how to extract it from Brother servers, please let me know.

Doppler, Apr 6, 2019
    1. Advertisements

3. Doppler

PrinterSprinter

Hi Doppler,
    I was trapped by the very same problem like you describe in your post above:
    After I had bought a Brother MFC-L2710DW in Spain, in which only the languages Spanish and Portuguese can be picked via the menu, I wanted to change the display language to German. I found an obviously outdated description of how to do this via the Maintenance mode, which listed 0003 as the language code for German. Foolish as I was, I did so and after the procedure my MFC-L2710DW declared to be an DCP-2530DW.
    Thanks to your post above I learned that the correct language code would have been 0A03, but how to type in letters on the keypad???
    I applied "brute force fumbling" and finally found the solution:

How to type letters on the numeric keypad of a Brother MFC-L2710DW in Maintenance mode:
    First press the #-key and then "0" (zero) --> this gives you an "A"
    #-key followed by "1" --> "B"
    #-key followed by 2 --> "C"
    and so forth.

So no need to fumble around with XML-files!

Thank you very much for your post and I hope my solution will also work for you! A short feedback would be appreciated!
    Kind regards
    PrinterSprinter

PrinterSprinter, Oct 20, 2019
  4. Doppler

PrinterSprinter

I forgot to mention in the above posting that my Brother MFC-L2710DW now works fine with the German settings and German display language.

PrinterSprinter, Oct 21, 2019
  5. Doppler

Doppler

PrinterSprinter I totally forgot about this forum and my question. A long time has passed. But today I saved my printer. #1 worked perfectly. I owe you a beer :) I will try to emphasize this so other google searchers with the same problem can do this.

In maintenance mode

a. Turn on your printer.
    b. Press: MENU---START(MONO for inject printer)---UP BUTTON four times (THIS PROCESS SHOULD BE DONE WITHIN 5 SEC)
    c. Maintenance will appear on your screen.

To switch printer language type 74 and then 0A03 for example. Letters can be typed as PrinterSprinter discovered pressing #1 #2 #3...

Doppler, Feb 16, 2020
    exploradorgt likes this.
  6. Doppler

exploradorgt

Nice, very few come back to forums after their problem was solved (by themselves), I have a Brother printer so I found your thread looking for maintenance mode options. Will keep this in mind.

exploradorgt, Mar 16, 2020
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question